Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Mike Kimber <mk...@kana.com> on 2011/11/15 12:11:58 UTC

How to present/Visualize/report on data in Couchdb

Hi,

We are collecting statics couchdb and views that provide analysis. However management don't do javascript and I'm a back en guy, so I'm hoping that the group could possibly provide some suggestions/recommendations on how we can deliver the data we are analysing into a more human friendly formats that involves lists of data and visualisation (charts etc). Now I know this is a how long is a piece of string question as there are a multitude of Web Frameworks, graphic libraries out there and on of the advantages of REST/JSON, but what I'm looking for is what seems to be the most common approach used by the community i.e couchapps/jquery/django ? I've done some Googling and have not been able to find much.

And out of interested what is the Couchdb app Futon written in?

Apologies if this is a rubbish question, but my management don't seem to see it that way :)

Mike

MICHAEL KIMBER

PRINCIPAL ARCHITECT

d: 02890788378| m: 07792329322

f: 02890788339 | e: mkimber@kana.com<ma...@kana.com>

209 Airport Road West, Belfast
BT3 9EZ, United Kingdom

[cid:image001.gif@01CCA387.648286D0]<http://www.kana.com/service-experience-management/stack.php>

EVENTS<http://www.kana.com/better-practices/events.php> | WHITEPAPERS<http://www.kana.com/better-practices/white-papers.php> | CASE STUDIES<http://www.kana.com/better-practices/video-case-studies.php> | DEMOS<http://www.kana.com/service-solutions/demo-library.php>

[cid:image002.gif@01CCA387.648286D0]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/KANA-Software-Inc/146154198748782>

[cid:image003.gif@01CCA387.648286D0]<http://www.twitter.com/kanasoftware>

[cid:image004.gif@01CCA387.648286D0]<http://www.linkedin.com/groups/KANA-Software-1129?mostPopular=&gid=1129>

[cid:image005.gif@01CCA387.648286D0]<http://www.kana.com/independent-research-firm-gartner-names-kana-leader-in-the-magic-quadrant-for-crm-web-customer-service.php>

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential and intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). It may be subject to legal, professional or other privilege and further distribution of it is strictly prohibited without our authority. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to and must not disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it, and should notify us immediately.

RE: How to present/Visualize/report on data in Couchdb

Posted by Mike Kimber <mk...@kana.com>.
Simon,

Thanks for your answer its very helpful. Will take a look

Mike

Posted by Simon Metson <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,
> Did you do a comparison between:
>
> https://github.com/andrzejsliwa/backbone-couch
> https://github.com/janmonschke/backbone-couchdb

Yes. Andrzej's version seemed easier to use and modify, though thats likely because I don't know coffee script and didn't have the time to learn :) IIRC Andrzej's version is a fork/rewrite of Jan's and seemed to assume less about how your application was structured than the original code, which is something we needed since our use cases seemed quite away from more normal applications. Andrzej's version does seem to be less frequently updated (it didn't support the latest backbone until recently) but he seems happy and quick to accept pull requests.
Cheers
Simon

Re: How to present/Visualize/report on data in Couchdb

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 15 November 2011 13:27, Simon Metson <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> We've been using Backbone-couch (https://github.com/andrzejsliwa/backbone-couch) and d3 (http://mbostock.github.com/d3/) to make visualisations. They're a nice pairing - as data appears in the database the collection and corresponding visualisation updates.
>
> We've started a simple Backbone wrapper of the d3 code (https://github.com/drsm79/Backbone-d3) and will be porting more visualisations into it as we go (patches welcome, so far it's just bar and pie charts though we've got line and calendar views in the works). This means you can serve the visualisations to the browser live (from a couchapp) without worrying about some middle layer.
> Cheers
> Simon

Hi Simon,

Did you do a comparison between:

https://github.com/andrzejsliwa/backbone-couch
https://github.com/janmonschke/backbone-couchdb

A+
Dave

Re: How to present/Visualize/report on data in Couchdb

Posted by Simon Metson <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mehdi El Fadil <me...@mango-is.com>.
Hi Mark,

I think there is no common approach, as you outlined there are many
solutions possible. People use the technologies they already master
in-house to do this, and front-end development is therefore usually needed.

Simon's backbone-d3 might be a solution for you.

Otherwise to avoid having to develop a front-end yourself, you might want
to look at Business Intelligence software. They are good letting users to
generate tables / charts the way they want with minimal need of technical
intervention, and provide decent interface.
Most solutions do *not *support JSON data source, but this is changing
rapidly because of big data analysis hype.

LuciDB might be a solution for you, it adds a layer between couchdb and
some front-end reporting:
http://www.nicholasgoodman.com/bt/blog/2011/06/22/sql-access-to-couchdb-views-easy-reporting/.
I have not tried it myself and have no idea about how good it is.

For Pentaho <http://www.pentaho.com/big-data/> and
Jaspersoft<http://www.jaspersoft.com/bigdata>,
two commercial open source solutions, you might be able to find a plugin
developed by the community in order to support couchdb source (if so please
let me know, I'm interested also). Your non-technical users would only have
to drag and drop the fields they want to generate decent reports /
dashboards.

Tableau software <http://www.tableausoftware.com> and
Qlikview<http://www.qlikview.com/>are good tools you can put in the
hands of managers, with close-to-zero
technical intervention needed. I let you check whether they would be able
to connect to couchdb's REST API...

Then, my company is currently working on an analytics tool using data from
JSON APIs. We do not have a finished product yet but are interested in
talking with potential users to know their requirements.
This is not to sell anything, but rather to identify most needed features,
and type of analysis which is usually needed. Feel free to get in touch by
email whenever you are interested in sharing some details about your use
case.

Hope this helps,

--
*
Mehdi El Fadil

Re: How to present/Visualize/report on data in Couchdb

Posted by Nils Breunese <N....@vpro.nl>.
Mike Kimber wrote:

> We are collecting statics couchdb and views that provide analysis. However management don’t do javascript and I’m a back en guy, so I’m hoping that the group could possibly provide some suggestions/recommendations on how we can deliver the data we are analysing into a more human friendly formats that involves lists of data and visualisation (charts etc). Now I know this is a how long is a piece of string question as there are a multitude of Web Frameworks, graphic libraries out there and on of the advantages of REST/JSON, but what I’m looking for is what seems to be the most common approach used by the community i.e couchapps/jquery/django ? I’ve done some Googling and have not been able to find much.

There are probably at leat a million different ways to transform JSON into lists, tables, graphs, etc. I don't think there is really a common approach. You could format documents and views using show and list functions [0], but in the end you'll need to do the coding yourself, at least until the data is in a format that can be fed to some tool or framework. Or render your own CSV, HTML tables, whatever you need.

> And out of interested what is the Couchdb app Futon written in?

Futon is built using HTML, CSS and JavaScript. You can find the code in the share/www directory in the CouchDB source tree. You might also want to check out the CouchApp programming model and tool [1].

Nils.

[0] http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Formatting_with_Show_and_List
[1] http://couchapp.org/
 VPRO   www.vpro.nl