Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/02 16:26:40 UTC

Re: [Iteration 1] Social Media Integration on OO.org Site

Rob,

How should I send the zip to you? I finished four placements, we can create
more variations on the wording, it's a simple change.

Samer

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 1/9/13 2:53 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Rob,
>>>
>>> How should I send the zip to you? I finished four placements, we can create
>>> more variations on the wording, it's a simple change.
>>>

>> If it is less than 25MB, you can mail it to me directly.
>>

> A quick update for the team:  Samer and I worked offline to get his
> design variations for the download page integrated.  So the content
> experiment is now up and running and we'll know in a couple of weeks
> which version gives the greatest rate of sharing via Facebook, Google+
> and Twitter.
>
> I'd rather not make public the exact URL's for the variations, since
> visiting those pages directly could distort the statistics being
> gathered, but if you visit http://www.openoffice.org/download you will
> probably be shown one of the variations with the social sharing icons.
>
> Currently we're seeing a "conversion rate" of around 0.1%, meaning
> 0.1% of visitors to the page share their excitement with their social
> network.  Since we get around 100K downloads/day, that amounts to
> around 100 shares per day.  And if each person has 100 people in their
> social network, that gives us 10,000 impressions per day, which is
> some nice free advertising.  To put that in perspective, 10,000 is
> greater than the size of our Twitter, Facebook and Google+ subscriber
> lists combined.  Plus, the nature of the sharing is that the post will
> come from someone familiar, since it is shared within a social
> network.  So the impact is that much greater.
>
> The point of this "content experiment" is to find the design that
> gives the highest conversion rate.  This is the first step.  We might
> do additional variations later as well.
>
> In any case, thanks to Samer for his contributions over the holidays!
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob
>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>>> Samer

thanks for sharing this, very interesting

Juergen

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The experiment ran and the data was collected over two weeks. The results
> of the experiment were pretty close, the design where the "share" icons
> were not in any section and hovering on white space did not do well. The
> experiment suggests the design with the new section provided the most
> clicks per visit.
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/test4-new-section-passthru.html

Right.  It was very close to the subgreen choice, but the new section
one was slightly better and was also more consistent (lower standard
deviation).

> I think this will be the new page, based purely on the findings. I would
> have to confirm with Rob.

Yes, I'll work on porting the code to the real download page.

Thanks again for your help on this!

-Rob

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.