Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/15 20:04:40 UTC

[VOTE] Release UIMA-DUCC 2.0.1 RC3

Hi,

the Apache UIMA DUCC v2.0.1 RC3 is ready for voting.

Issues fixed since RC2:

- fixed wrong Ducc version in Ducc docs (pdf and html)

DUCC stands for Distributed UIMA Cluster Computing. DUCC is a cluster
management system providing tooling, management, and scheduling facilities
to automate the scale-out of applications written to the UIMA framework.
Core UIMA provides a generalized framework for applications that process
unstructured information such as human language, but does not provide a
scale-out mechanism. UIMA-AS provides a scale-out mechanism to distribute
UIMA pipelines over a cluster of computing resources, but does not provide
job or cluster management of the resources. DUCC defines a formal job model
that closely maps to a standard UIMA pipeline. Around this job model DUCC
provides cluster management services to automate the scale-out of UIMA
pipelines over computing clusters.

Issues fixed in this release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.0.1-Ducc%22%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20ASC

The Maven artifacts are here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1077/org/apache/uima/

The source and binary zip/tars are here:
http://people.apache.org/~cwiklik/releases/uima-ducc/2.0.1/RC3/

The SVN Tag Checkout:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/sandbox/uima-ducc/tags/uima-ducc-2.0.1/

See: http://uima.apache.org/testing-builds.html for instructions how to
test release candidate.

Vote open for 72 hours.

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ]  0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA-DUCC 2.0.1 RC3

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
Marshall also observed that when he unzips DUCC's sources from a zip file,
the buildnumber-maven-plugin does not work. This plugin needs SVN to fetch
revision number but source release plugin does not package .svn files. It
appears this plugin needs .svn to work correctly. Same is true for svn
export. It fetches source files only (no .svn files).
The only consequence of this is that when building from source (from a zip
file), revision numbers are not included in a Manifest. Does not seem like
a reason to vote the release down. For the next release I will document
this in a README.

Jerry

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
Strange, I am not seeing this:

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
Spot checked signatures - OK
Built from source - OK
Installed from binary and ran 1.job - OK
Checked README and RELEASE_NOTES - OK
Checked LICENSE and NOTICE (binary and source) - OK
Checked JIRA_REPORT - OK
Checked Javadocs - OK
Checked Docmon - OK
Spot checked duccbook.html and duccbook.pdf - OK

+1 OK to release

Posted by Lou DeGenaro <lo...@gmail.com>.
* fetched tar.gz from link

Posted by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com>.
Download binary and updated our test cluster and ran 1.job
Based on more extensive testing of RC2 ...

+1 OK to release

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
signatures OK for bin and source release artifacts.

build from sources - OK except for an SVN build revision number issue discussed
elsewhere on this thread.  In my opinion, this is not a blocker, because the
actual built JARs have the info in the manifest.

The new manifest entry appears to come with an extra blank line following it
(it's at the end of the Manifest).  I'm presuming this is not an issue - if
anyone knows otherwise, please speak up :-).

I did a compare of 2.0.1 rc3 with 2.0.0 rc7 (previous release).  This shows no
new dependencies or other possibly significant issues for review.  I note that
there is no difference in the license / notice files.

issues fixed - OK.

(A slight improvement in Jira issue recording for the future: change the Jira
"type" for tasks like "Prepare xxx for release" from "bug" to "task".)

There are a new set of JavaDoc warnings. These are not blockers, but might want
to get fixed in
subsequent releases.

[X] +1 OK to release

-Marshall