Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tony Heal <th...@pace2020.com> on 2008/01/09 17:32:24 UTC

[users@httpd] rewrite or alias

I am using apache 1.3 on a debian etch system with a 2.6 kernel. I have www
root redirected from a file in conf.d. I am currently using a symlink in the
redirected root to direct a php file to a different directory in /var/www/
and I would rather use httpd.conf to do this.

Although I am pretty sure that I can use the file in conf.d, that file is
used on other systems for a particular software program that do not have
this php file.

I have tried using an Alias and I get   "401 Authorization Required"

Alias /file.php /var/www/directory/file.php

And a rewrite rule gets me a file not found error

RewriteRule /file.php /var/www/directory/file.php [R]

So do I have the right idea and the wrong syntax or is this even possible?

Thanks

Tony

Re: [users@httpd] rewrite or alias

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 09.01.08 11:32, Tony Heal wrote:
> I am using apache 1.3 on a debian etch system with a 2.6 kernel. I have www
> root redirected from a file in conf.d. I am currently using a symlink in the
> redirected root to direct a php file to a different directory in /var/www/
> and I would rather use httpd.conf to do this.
>
> Although I am pretty sure that I can use the file in conf.d, that file is
> used on other systems for a particular software program that do not have
> this php file.
>
> I have tried using an Alias and I get   "401 Authorization Required"
>
> Alias /file.php /var/www/directory/file.php

Looks like access to /var/www/directory is limited to some users/groups...

> RewriteRule /file.php /var/www/directory/file.php [R]

afaik rewrite rewrites URL into another URL, not into path...
Christian Science Programming: "Let God Debug It!".