Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2018/10/02 14:19:22 UTC

Re: Gump, Tomcat Native, OpenSSL and Tomcat versions

On 12/09/18 17:22, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 12/09/18 15:57, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> Am 12.09.2018 um 13:12 schrieb Mark Thomas:

<snip/>

>>> As a starting point for discussion how about:
>>> - Build all current OpenSSL versions (currently 4)
>>> - Build Tomcat Native 1.2.x for each OpenSSL version (i.e. 4)
>>> - No Tomcat Native 1.1.x builds
>>> - Test 9.0.x with all Native/OpenSSL combinations (i.e. 4)
>>> - Test 8.5.x with Native/OpenSSL 1.1.1 (latest LTS)
>>> - Test 7.0.x with Native/OpenSSL 1.0.2 (other LTS)
>>>
>>> Testing all 12 combinations (4 OpenSSL * 3 Tomcat) seems like overkill.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> I like it. Broad coverage for our latest branch and some additional
>> checks for the older branches.
>>
>> A variation we could think about, is dropping OpenSSL master at least
>> until that branch produces alpha releases for 1.1.2. Since 1.1.1 is now
>> GA I think it will be the relevant newest version for quite some time.
>> Probably master will not become relevant for us before EOL for 1.1.0.
>
> It is almost easier to leave to master build in place.
>
> I've added the additional OpenSSL builds for 1.1.0 and 1.1.1. I'll wait
> and see what happens with those builds in the next Gump run first in
> case I have missed something in setting them up.

OpenSSL 1.0.2, 1.1.0, 1.1.1 and master have been building happily for a
while now.

I've just dropped the Tomcat Native 1.1.x build (that branch is no
longer supported) and I've added the additional Tomcat Native 1.2.x +
OpenSSL builds so we are building with all 4 current OpenSSL versions.

I did a little renaming to make it clearer what is going on and I
configured 8.5.x to test against 1.2-1.1.1.

Assuming all the above changes work (I don't have a high success rate
for getting Gump config changes right first time) I'll then add the
additional runs with 9.0.x. (1.2-1.1.1, 1.2-1.1.0, 1.2-1.0.2).

I won't be surprised if we see test failures because the tests don't
fully account for running with different OpenSSL versions.

If (OK, when) we get Gump failures, I'll get them fixed as quickly as I can.

Mark