Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/22 15:33:36 UTC

Best way for an LDAPConnection from an EJB?

What is the best way for an LDAPConnection from an EJB?

Simply use JNDI or (even worse?) JLDAP, even if this means socket calls not
under control of Geronimo?

Or use a JCA connector like LDAP JCA
(http://www.alexander-lindhorst.de/inhalt/java/ldapjca/index.html) ?

Thanks,
Juergen

Re: Best way for an LDAPConnection from an EJB?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 23, 2008, at 2:24 AM, Juergen Weber wrote:

> djencks wrote:
>>

>> https://svn.codehaus.org/tranql
>>
>> codehaus has been on svn for a long time.... is there  a cvs
>> reference
>> somewhere?
>>

> Yes, at http://tranql.codehaus.org/Download
> 8-)

OK, I think I fixed all the cvs references :-)

> I wonder, if the Geronimo source download shouldn't include the
> sources of
> _all_ binaries included in the Geronimo binary distribution...
> If you run something important on an open source appserver, you
> should have
> all sources at your hand, without having to search at 30 different
> places.

I'm not aware of any other projects that do anything remotely like
that.  I'm also not sure we could redistribute e.g. the jaxb source
which is CDDL.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 22, 2008, at 2:03 PM, Juergen Weber wrote:

> djencks wrote:
>>
>> It might be worth investigating writing a jca connector for one of
>> these non-jndi ldap clients.  It would probably be easy to adapt the
>> tranql framework for this, tranql is designed to have flexible base
>> classes for such purposes.  It might also be possible to adapt the
>>

> David, do you mean tranql.codehaus.org ?
>
> I tried to download the sources, but cvs.tranql.codehaus.org is
> down. Are
> they somewhere at Apache's?

https://svn.codehaus.org/tranql

codehaus has been on svn for a long time.... is there  a cvs reference
somewhere?

> Also, there isn't much traffic on tranql's mailing lists, is it?

nope, very little.  We do fix bugs however :-)

thanks
david  jencks

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 22, 2008, at 6:33 AM, Juergen Weber wrote:

> What is the best way for an LDAPConnection from an EJB?
>
> Simply use JNDI or (even worse?) JLDAP, even if this means socket
> calls not
> under control of Geronimo?
>
> Or use a JCA connector like LDAP JCA
> (http://www.alexander-lindhorst.de/inhalt/java/ldapjca/index.html) ?

I suspect you will have to experiment to find a solution that works
for your needs.  I don't understand any appreciable amount of german
but the sample code for LDAP JCA makes me think that it is using JNDI
under the covers.    From the complaints about jndi -ldap mismatch on
the apacheds dev list I suspect jldap would be worth looking into.  I
know the apacheds has been refactoring the server to avoid jndi.  I
think that they may have a non-jndi ldap client as well.

It might be worth investigating writing a jca connector for one of
these non-jndi ldap clients.  It would probably be easy to adapt the
tranql framework for this, tranql is designed to have flexible base
classes for such purposes.  It might also be possible to adapt the
ldap jca project you found: I haven't looked at its code at all but
will warn you that many "jca" resource adapters that aren't heavily
used turn out to be experiments someone wrote while trying to
understand the jca spec and often contain serious errors and
misunderstandings.  Hopefully this ldap-jca is not one of these but
actually works :-)

Please let us know what you find out and decide to do!

thanks
david jencks