Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by djkraz <dk...@merrillsteel.com> on 2017/10/07 14:27:00 UTC

USER_IN_WHITELIST shortcircuits VBOUNCE, please help...

I have a user that is getting thousands of backscatter a minute for a couple
days now.  I've tried everything I can find on the web to get vbounce
working with no luck as the user is obviously in the whitelist since they
exist on the server.  I've tried setting the priority of vbounce higher but
it doesn't seem to make any difference.  Does anyone have any experience in
resolving this?  FYI, I'm running Exchange 2013 on Win2kR2 with Exchange
Server Toolbox.  Thanks in advance!

--
Sent from: http://spamassassin.1065346.n5.nabble.com/SpamAssassin-Users-f3.html

Re: USER_IN_WHITELIST shortcircuits VBOUNCE, please help...

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 07:27:00 -0700 (MST)
djkraz wrote:

> I have a user that is getting thousands of backscatter a minute for a
> couple days now.  I've tried everything I can find on the web to get
> vbounce working with no luck as the user is obviously in the
> whitelist since they exist on the server.

USER_IN_WHITELIST is based on the sender address, and for backscatter
that's going to be on a series of random third-party domains. It seems
very unlikely that this is affecting backscatter - unless you've
whitelisted everything.

SpamAssassin doesn't short-circuit by default, so if  VBOUNCE is
short-circuited by anything then it must be down to you own settings.

Re: USER_IN_WHITELIST shortcircuits VBOUNCE, please help...

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017, Antony Stone wrote:

> On Saturday 07 October 2017 at 16:27:00, djkraz wrote:
>
>> I have a user that is getting thousands of backscatter a minute for a
>> couple days now.  I've tried everything I can find on the web to get
>> vbounce working with no luck as the user is obviously in the whitelist
>> since they exist on the server.  I've tried setting the priority of
>> vbounce higher but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  Does anyone
>> have any experience in resolving this?  FYI, I'm running Exchange 2013 on
>> Win2kR2 with Exchange Server Toolbox.  Thanks in advance!
>
> Put an example (full headers as minimum, body not really important for this I
> think) on pastebin or similar, post the link here and also show us your
> vbounce settings so we can have an opinion.

The body of a bounce can be critical, if it has things like a SMTP status
message or trace. Please provide a complete backscatter message.

Also: where and how exactly is vbounce hooked into Exchange? Or does
"Exchange Server Toolkbox" answer that question? (Pardon my ignorance
here.)

   Ignorance is no excuse for a law.
  191 days since the first commercial re-flight of an orbital booster (SpaceX)

Re: USER_IN_WHITELIST shortcircuits VBOUNCE, please help...

Posted by Antony Stone <An...@spamassassin.open.source.it>.
On Saturday 07 October 2017 at 16:27:00, djkraz wrote:

> I have a user that is getting thousands of backscatter a minute for a
> couple days now.  I've tried everything I can find on the web to get
> vbounce working with no luck as the user is obviously in the whitelist
> since they exist on the server.  I've tried setting the priority of
> vbounce higher but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  Does anyone
> have any experience in resolving this?  FYI, I'm running Exchange 2013 on
> Win2kR2 with Exchange Server Toolbox.  Thanks in advance!

Put an example (full headers as minimum, body not really important for this I
think) on pastebin or similar, post the link here and also show us your
vbounce settings so we can have an opinion.

Antony.

--
I wasn't sure about having a beard at first, but then it grew on me.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.