Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Scott Spillmann <sc...@factor500.com> on 2012/02/16 18:36:05 UTC

Software Company Model

Hi All,

Has anyone modeled a software company and would like to share how your
business model fits in to OFBiz's data model?  I am doing a conversion
from an old MS Access database and am looking for some pointers.  A few
key facts:

*) We have sales reps that have certain customers
*) Sales reps get discounts
*) We have existing physical units in the field
*) We will begin selling software versions of the existing units this year.

I understand how parties and their relationships work, but asset
tracking is eluding me currently.  We would like to model selling a
physical product unit that has a serial number and some other
configuration options, track RMA's for that unit, and provide
maintenance agreements for that unit and other products (like software)
that we sell them.  No ecommerce for now.  We have an order manager that
will enter the orders, so we'll be writing custom screens for this.

Can this model be done with Products and variants, or do I need to do
some extending of base entities?

Thanks

--
Scott Spillmann
Software Engineer

Re: Software Company Model

Posted by Scott Spillmann <sc...@factor500.com>.
I'll see how that method works.  Thanks.

Scott Spillmann
Software Engineer
Factor500, Inc.
scotts@factor500.com
(919) 354 - 1366

Re: Software Company Model

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Re: Software Company Model

Posted by Scott Spillmann <sc...@factor500.com>.

Re: Software Company Model

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Re: Software Company Model

Posted by Integrin Solutions <in...@gmail.com>.
Scott -

Usecases that you outlined are supported OOTB in ofbiz including
- Order Managment of serialized products <including variants>
- Returns Management
- Inventory Management
- Catalog management

-Regards