Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/21 13:40:24 UTC

Building FlexJS from source

Back here again…

I’m trying to build FlexJS from the source repo in an attempt to see if I can get a setp for working on FlexJS itself.

I’m getting stuck here:
 [mxmlc] /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/frameworks/flex-config.xml:65
    [mxmlc] Error: unable to open '/Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/frameworks/{playerglobalHome}/11.1/playerglobal.swc'.
    [mxmlc] /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/frameworks/flex-config.xml (line: 65)
    [mxmlc]       </external-library-path>
    [mxmlc]
    [mxmlc]
    [mxmlc] /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/frameworks/flex-config.xml:83
    [mxmlc] Error: unable to open '/Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/frameworks/{playerglobalHome}/11.1'.
    [mxmlc] /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/frameworks/flex-config.xml (line: 83)
    [mxmlc]       </library-path>
    [mxmlc]

Any ideas why {playerglobalHome} is not getting swapped out? I’m also not sure that I’m going about building it correctly. I used ant with no arguments, and I did not attempt to build Falcon first.

Re: Building FlexJS from source

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
We use AIR and AS3 for the Installer that installs binary packages for
IDEs.

For a source package, which can’t have any binaries, we need to start from
somewhere, and require AIR can be a hassle especially for Linux folks
which we still want to support.  So Ant works on all 3 platforms (Win,
Mac, Linux) so it is our current choice.

-Alex

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I tried the IntelliJ setup instructions as well (for the nightly) and that’s not very successful either.

Information:[DataBindingTest]: Starting Flex compiler:
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java -d32 "-Dapplication.home=/Users/harbs/Documents/Apache Flex Dist/FlexJS Nightly" -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Djava.awt.headless=true -Duser.language=en -Duser.region=en -Xmx512m -classpath "/Applications/IntelliJ IDEA 14.app/Contents/plugins/flex/lib/idea-flex-compiler-fix.jar:/Applications/IntelliJ IDEA 14.app/Contents/plugins/flex/lib/flex-compiler.jar:/Users/harbs/Documents/Apache Flex Dist/FlexJS Nightly/lib/flex-compiler-oem.jar" com.intellij.flex.compiler.FlexCompiler 62279
Information:[DataBindingTest]: mxmlc -load-config=/Users/harbs/Library/Caches/IntelliJIdea14/compile-server/_temp_/IntelliJ_IDEA/idea-893BF8A3-A96B7460.xml -load-config+=\Users\Harbs\Documents\Apache Flex Dist\FlexJS\ide\IDEA\intellij-config.xml -js-output-type=FLEXJS_DUAL
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:637)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:621)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at flex2.tools.Tool.compile(Tool.java:73)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at flex2.tools.Mxmlc.mxmlc(Mxmlc.java:75)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at com.intellij.flex.compiler.flex4.Flex4Handler.compileSwf(Flex4Handler.java:81)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: at com.intellij.flex.compiler.CompilationThread.run(CompilationThread.java:48)
Information:[DataBindingTest]: Compilation failed
Information:10/25/15, 11:58 AM - Compilation completed with 2 errors and 0 warnings in 3 sec
Error:[DataBindingTest]: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/apache/flex/compiler/clients/MXMLJSC$JSOutputType : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
Error:[DataBindingTest]: Compilation terminated

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/5/15, 3:42 AM, "Harbs" <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Back at this...
>
>Question: Is the source of the FlexJS swc files supposed to be view-able?
>It would be really helpful, if we could jump to the source from IDEs.

You can set the source attachments individually on the SWCs in your
project.  AFAIK, there is no way to automatically do it in FB.  FB has
custom code that is specifically looking for spark.swc, mx.swc, etc.

I could be wrong about that, so folks who have build custom SWCs for Flex
in the past, please correct me if I’m wrong.  There is also something
called a fat-SWC that I haven’t had time to play with.

Once we get the projects set up for each SWC, you will be primarily
compiling SWC code from attached projects and then you should get source
then as well.

-Alex

Re: Building FlexJS from source

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Back at this...

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 1, 2015, at 4:48 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> What command-line are you running and what is FALCON_HOME set to?  If you
> are trying to run from the repos, FALCON_HOME should be set to the
> flex-falcon repo’s compiler/generated/dist/sdk

It could be that I did not get this right. I’ll try again and report back.

> There shouldn’t be a lib folder in flex-asjs unless you tried to convert
> it into an IDE compatible folder, which I’ve not tried.

Yes. That’s what I did. How are you set up to work on the SDK? Do you copy everything out first? Or do you just use ant for everything?

> -Alex
>
> On 11/1/15, 4:13 AM, "Harbs" <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In trying to figure out what the build script was doing, I got a bit
>> lost. I’m going to need some help here.
>>
>> The build script is including build_example.xml which has this:
>>
>>   <path id="lib.path">
>>     <fileset dir="${FALCON_HOME}/lib" includes="falcon-flexTasks.jar"/>
>>   </path>
>>
>>   <target name="compile" description="Compiles ${example}">
>>       <echo message="Compiling ${example}.swf"/>
>>       <echo message="FLEX_HOME: ${FLEX_HOME}"/>
>>
>>       <!-- Load the <compc> task. We can't do this at the <project>
>> level -->
>>       <!-- because targets that run before flexTasks.jar gets built
>> would fail. -->
>>       <taskdef resource="flexTasks.tasks" classpathref="lib.path"/>
>>
>> I’m getting an error at taskdef, and I’m not sure how to fix it.
>>
>> I’m not getting this bit. FALCON_HOME does not seem to have
>> lib/falcon-flexTasks.jar, but FLEX_HOME does. FALCON_HOME does have
>> flexTasks.tasks. No matter what I do, I’m getting an error along these
>> lines:
>>
>> /Users/harbs/Documents/Adobe Flash Builder
>> 4.7/DataGridExample/build_example.xml:33:
>> /Users/harbs/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/lib does not exist.
>>
>> I’m getting the error whether I make the path FLEX_HOME or FALCON_HOME.
>> Either way, this path DOES exist.
>>
>> On Nov 1, 2015, at 2:42 PM, Harbs <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I’m using FB 4.7 and things are definietly better than they were with
>>> 4.5.
>>>
>>> I got the DataGrid example to run, but I’m getting errors trying to run
>>> the DataBindingExample:
>>>
>>> ReferenceError: Error #1069: Property name not found on
>>> flash.display.LoaderInfo and there is no default value.
>>> 	at
>>> org.apache.flex.core::CSSFontFaceBead/errorHandler()[/Users/harbs/Documen
>>> ts/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/frameworks/projects/Core/as/src/org/apache/flex/c

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/1/15, 3:42 AM, "Harbs" <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I’m using FB 4.7 and things are definietly better than they were with 4.5.
>
>I got the DataGrid example to run, but I’m getting errors trying to run
>the DataBindingExample:
>
>ReferenceError: Error #1069: Property name not found on
>flash.display.LoaderInfo and there is no default value.
>	at
>org.apache.flex.core::CSSFontFaceBead/errorHandler()[/Users/harbs/Document
>s/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/frameworks/projects/Core/as/src/org/apache/flex/cor
>e/CSSFontFaceBead.as:122]
>
>It looks like I’m getting an ioError which is not being handled
>correctly: Error #2036: Load Never Completed. URL:
>fonts/flat-ui-icons-regular.swf

Is this DataBindingExample or DataBindingExample_Flat?  I think you may
have found an issue with the latter, but the former shouldn’t be in these
code paths at all.

>I’m also getting an error when I try using Run > External Tools and
>select either of the FlexJS build options. Is that supposed to work? I
>seemed like yes from the wiki instructions.
>
>File not found: org.apache.flex.collections.ArrayList

This was fixed on Friday.  Are you sure you are sync’ed up?

-Alex

Re: Building FlexJS from source

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/26/15, 11:12 AM, "Harbs" <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I was actually just trying to follow the instructions on the wiki. I
>don’t remember right now exactly what I did, but I did create a new
>project and just copied the source files. For some reason that did not
>work. I’m using FB 4.5. Could that be the problem?

I can’t make any guarantees about anything other than FB 4.7.

>I had some urgent things to take care of the last few days, but I’ll
>probably be back at this tomorrow…
>
>Here’s my plan to get up to speed in FlexJS:
>1) Get myself setup so I can code (with code hinting), build and debug
>any project. (either in FB or IntelliJ)

If you are using the nightly build, the instruction on the wiki should
work but you might need to upgrade to FB 4.7.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I was actually just trying to follow the instructions on the wiki. I don’t remember right now exactly what I did, but I did create a new project and just copied the source files. For some reason that did not work. I’m using FB 4.5. Could that be the problem?

I had some urgent things to take care of the last few days, but I’ll probably be back at this tomorrow…

Here’s my plan to get up to speed in FlexJS:
1) Get myself setup so I can code (with code hinting), build and debug any project. (either in FB or IntelliJ)
2) Get that to work from the source folder (so I’m able to fix and add to the develop branch and debug changes).
3) Setup my own project and get that working.
4) Setup a project that can do bi-directional handling of XML. (this is a really important feature for me) I’m thinking of creating some classes which will act as proxies for Flash XML and DOM XMLDocument. I’m hoping to be able to reproduce the basics of E4X in a more normal syntax.
5) Get EaselJS working.

Once I get to step 5, I think I’ll be very comfortable with FlexJS...

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Some more hitches:

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for finding that!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
OK. I’m calling it a night.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
No joy.

I made this change in that file:
        <compc fork="true"
               output="${FLEXJS_HOME}/frameworks/libs/Core.swc">
            <jvmarg line="${compc.jvm.args}"/>
            <load-config filename="compile-config.xml" />
            <arg value="+env.PLAYERGLOBAL_HOME=${env.PLAYERGLOBAL_HOME}" />
            <arg value="+playerglobal.version=${playerglobal.version}" />
            <arg value="+env.AIR_HOME=${env.AIR_HOME}" />
        </compc>

I get the same error.

These two lines seem to not be resolved correctly in flex-asjs/frameworks/flex-config.xml:

     <external-library-path>
—>          <path-element>{playerglobalHome}/{targetPlayerMajorVersion}.{targetPlayerMinorVersion}/playerglobal.swc</path-element>
      </external-library-path>

      <!-- Turn on writing of generated/*.as files to disk. These files are generated by -->
      <!-- the compiler during mxml translation and are helpful with understanding and   -->
      <!-- debugging Flex applications.                                                  -->
      <keep-generated-actionscript>false</keep-generated-actionscript>

      <!-- not set -->
      <!--
      <include-libraries>
         <library>string</library>
      </include-libraries>
      -->

      <!-- List of SWC files or directories that contain SWC files. -->
      <library-path>
         <path-element>libs</path-element>
—>         <path-element>{playerglobalHome}/{targetPlayerMajorVersion}.{targetPlayerMinorVersion}</path-element>
      </library-path>

I’m really confused about where that is defined. The only place I see it would be in flex-asjs/installer.xml:
        <replace file="${FLEXJS_HOME}/frameworks/flex-config.xml">
            <replacefilter token="@playerversion@"
                            value="${flash.sdk.version}"/>
            <replacefilter token="@swfversion@"
                            value="${flash.sdk.swfversion}"/>
            <replacefilter token="{playerglobalHome}"
                            value="libs/player"/>
        </replace>

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Yeah. I realized that after running ant all again… ;-)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Trying now…

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I tried commenting that var out and it failed immediately.

Whatever my problem is, it appears to be related to the playerglobal path. At first it seems to be correct:

check-playerglobal-home:
     [echo] PLAYERGLOBAL_HOME is /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/frameworks/libs/player
     [echo] playerglobal.version is 11.1
     [echo] playerglobal.swc is /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/frameworks/libs/player/11.1/playerglobal.swc

check-air-home:
     [echo] AIR_HOME is /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/frameworks/AIRSDK_Compiler

But later, it seems to be incorrect and I get this:

compile:
     [echo] Compiling FlexUnitFlexJSApplication.swf
     [echo] FLEX_HOME: /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs
     [echo] FALCON_HOME: /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/../flex-falcon/compiler/generated/dist/sdk
     [echo] FLEXUNIT_HOME: /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/../flex-flexunit
    [mxmlc] Loading configuration: /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/frameworks/flex-config.xml
    [mxmlc]
[...]

/Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/frameworks/build.xml:79: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/frameworks/build.xml:225: The following error occurred while executing this line:

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.