Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Konrad Windszus <ko...@netcentric.biz> on 2015/12/27 12:10:38 UTC

baselining issue

Hi,
Unfortunately the commit http://svn.apache.org/r1721739 (SLING-5403) enforces a major increase of the package version (currently the build is failing due to that, I will fix that soon).
I changed the return type of method RankedServices.get() from Collection to List.
IMHO this is backwards compatible and should therefore not require a major version increase.
For me the JLS Spec is not clear enough here (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se7/html/jls-13.html#jls-13.4.15) so I am unsure, whether this is a bug in the baseline goal of maven-bundle-plugin or this really requires a major version increase.
To me it seems rather odd, because all usages of Collection should still work with the new return type List (as the former is a super interface of the latter)
WDYT about the change proposed in SLING-5403? In case this is not a bug with baselining plugin are you fine with the major version increase of org.apache.sling.commons.osgi?
Thanks for your input,
Konrad

Re: baselining issue

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.
Actually the JLS spec is quite clear in that regard:
"Changing the result type of a method” … "has the combined effect of deleting the old method and adding a new method with the new result type” …
Therefore in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-5403 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-5403> I introduced a new static method named “getList()" instead of changing the resource type of the method “get()” to still be backwards compatible.
Sorry for the noise.
Konrad