Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org> on 2021/05/02 10:38:42 UTC

[discussion] use of https://downloads.apache.org/ as a download page

Hello all,

In the past we have discouraged the use of https://downloads.apache.org/
because of Infra.

I had a discussion with Humbedooh if this is still the case. And the
discussion outcome is, hat they only need a view days to adjust in order
to be able to secure the service.

It may be that on peak times the download speed drops, but traffic or
the amount of downloads is not a topic.

A topic will be to obtain statistics. I have not discussed this yet. But
the data is not publicly available, and I so far obtained only a list
from last week, because I figured that some are already promoting the link.

(With about 6k of download on friday, 4k on thursday, and 500 on
wednseday. (thursday I figured that some sites announced 4.1.10. (They
even link the draft release notes :P )

So what do you think? Should we promote the alternate link with this
release more publicly maybe on Forums and go for a transition to a
different download policy?

All the Best

Peter

--
This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html

RE: [discussion] use of https://downloads.apache.org/ as a download page

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

These are very good perspectives.

> It may be that on peak times the download speed drops, but traffic or
> the amount of downloads is not a topic.
>
> A topic will be to obtain statistics. I have not discussed
> this yet. But
> the data is not publicly available, and I so far obtained only a list
> from last week, because I figured that some are already
> promoting the link.
>
> (With about 6k of download on friday, 4k on thursday, and 500 on
> wednseday. (thursday I figured that some sites announced
> 4.1.10. (They
> even link the draft release notes :P )
>

> So what do you think? Should we promote the alternate link with this
> release more publicly maybe on Forums and go for a transition to a
> different download policy?

+1

... and "go for a transition to a different download policy" is, in my eyes, a successful formulation/goal setting.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: [discussion] use of https://downloads.apache.org/ as a download page

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Small addition.
I discussed volumes with Infra.
50k average downloads per day, with 140k peak (aktually I said 300k peak, and 400mb)  and the response is it is fine.

The traffic seems to play only a role when we talk about the mirrors.

So next to be clear a full switch is not part of the discussion now. Just the move away from discouraging users, to use the site.

For a complete move we should look at mirrors and the template extention service, too. And solve both topics first.

All the best
Peter

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

I had a follow up conversation with Infra.

We are discussing just using downloads.a.o without mirrors. We should just get a sense of the size by switching over either random requests or choosing a particular language.

So, let’s say we change the de download page to use downloads.a.o! If all goes well, we switch over the others a few at a time.

Keep in mind downloads only has current versions with older ones on archives.a.o

All the best,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by DaveB <bm...@apache.org>.
Hi Matthias,

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

I remember the times when I coordinated the uploads to the
OpenOffice.org mirror network from my office at Sun in Hamburg. At that
time we used bouncer
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Bouncer

Links to the Bouncer site of the Oregon State University on the
http://openoffice.bouncer.osuosl.org/ site don't work anymore... (maybe
by using the Archives Wayback Machine)

resp. MirrorBrain

One of the SuSE/Novell developers (Peter Poeml) was the main contributor
of the MirrorBrain code.

Some info on the German Wikipedia:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MirrorBrain

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MirrorBrain
http://svn.mirrorbrain.org/svn/mirrorbrain/trunk/
LibreOffice, VideoLan, KDE, Gome, FSF, Sourceforge and OpenSuSE still
use mirrorbrain.
https://mirrorbrain.org/

which was enhanced by a GeoIP module to route mirror requests to a
nearby mirror (background: a person of an African administration called
me if it would be possible to reduce requests to far away mirrors
because OpenOffice.org downloads resulted into mostly the whole
bandwidth of the whole state). Mirrors were located mostly at
universities spread worldwide).

The team should invite more mirrors to be part of the AOO mirror
network. If the downloads.apache.org site is the main distribution site
where eg. Sourceforge downloads the files for distribution then it
should not be promoted as download site.

Kind regards, Joost

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Simon Phipps <we...@apache.org>.
On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 11:38 AM Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> So what do you think? Should we promote the alternate link with this
> release more publicly maybe on Forums and go for a transition to a
> different download policy?

Nice work, Peter. It's clearly preferable to have downloads under Apache
direct control so yes.

S.