Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/30 21:59:54 UTC

RE switching surefire to the standard build

https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-wip/job/maven-surefire/job/new-jenkinsfile/
to see what it's like.

We can look into adding jacoco reporting to the standard build if it is
seen as important

Re: RE switching surefire to the standard build

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Sat 2 Dec 2017 at 10:42, Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> wrote:

> One function in Jenkinsfile is sick.
> It is pure bureaucracy where the Jenkinsfile becomes a beton.
> There is no freedom for developers in Jenkinsfile in that case.

If you don’t want Java 9 then you can turn off Java 9 using the parameters.

Now the larger question is why we cannot build with Java 9...

Any snowflake build is a code smell

Any build needing complex Jenkinsfile logic is a code smell

Now if you are in the position where surefire cannot build with Java 9 but
you need to run tests with Java 9... that would be an acceptable reason...
but ultimately we will need to solve the Java 9 issues so that surefire is
able to use the standard build.

TL;DR if you cannot use the standard build, then there is a barrier on new
contributors as they cannot “just build”, instead they need to understand
how to build.

--
Sent from my phone

Re: RE switching surefire to the standard build

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from my phone

Re: RE switching surefire to the standard build

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
Pls do not do it!

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
[WARNING] Rule 0: org.apache.maven.plugins.enforcer.RequireJavaVersion
failed with message:
Detected JDK Version: 9.0.1 is not in the allowed range [1.8,1.9).

Ok finding some bugs then

On 30 November 2017 at 21:59, Stephen Connolly <