Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Priya Ch <le...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/23 12:31:15 UTC

spark.local.dir and spark.worker.dir not used

Hi,

I am using spark 1.0.0. In my spark code i m trying to persist an rdd to
disk as rrd.persist(DISK_ONLY). But unfortunately couldn't find the
location where the rdd has been written to disk. I specified
SPARK_LOCAL_DIRS and SPARK_WORKER_DIR to some other location rather than
using the default /tmp directory, but still couldnt see anything in worker
directory andspark ocal directory.

I also tried specifying the local dir and worker dir from the spark code
while defining the SparkConf as conf.set("spark.local.dir",
"/home/padma/sparkdir") but the directories are not used.

In general which directories spark would be using for map output files,
intermediate writes and persisting rdd to disk ?

Thanks,
Padma Ch

RE: spark.local.dir and spark.worker.dir not used

Posted by "Shao, Saisai" <sa...@intel.com>.
This folder will be created when you start your Spark application under your spark.local.dir, with the name “spark-local-xxx” as prefix. It’s quite strange you don’t see this folder, maybe you miss something. Besides if Spark cannot create this folder on start, persist rdd to disk will be failed.

Also I think there’s no way to persist RDD to HDFS, even in YARN, only RDD’s checkpoint can save data on HDFS.

Thanks
Jerry

Posted by "Liu, Raymond" <ra...@intel.com>.
When did you check the dir’s contents? When the application finished, those dirs will be cleaned.

Best Regards,
Raymond Liu

Posted by Chitturi Padma <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Hubregtsen <th...@gmail.com>.
Also, if I am not mistaken, this data is automatically removed after your
run. Be sure to check it while running your program.

Re: spark.local.dir and spark.worker.dir not used

Posted by Chitturi Padma <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Shao, Saisai" <sa...@intel.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Shao, Saisai" <sa...@intel.com>.