Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Simone Gianni <si...@apache.org> on 2010/04/27 16:32:04 UTC

[DISCUSS] Amber proposal

Hi all,
a couple of months ago, Simone Tripodi started an Apache Lab called Amber
proposing an independent implementation of OAuth that could be used as a
library by other projects, then at the Apache Retreat in Dublin, David
Recordon gave a speech about OAuth v2 and Stuart Williams said he had a
nearly complete implementation of OAuth v1 that he wanted to contribute. So
we decided to get in touch with Simone Tripodi to contribute to the Amber
Lab and also to ask on the OAuth IETF mailing list if anyone was interested
in a standardized Java API/implementation for OAuth v2.

In a few days we received many enthusiastic answers, and among them also
people from other Apache projects having partial or unmaintained
implementations of OAuth specs in their projects that are willing to
contribute.

So, we decided that it was worth to file a proposal for incubation, and we
started writing one here : http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/AmberProposal .

As you can see, there are still many TODOs and we are waiting for some
confirmations, but it's probably time to have people on this list informed
and obtain some feedback and guidance on how to complete our proposal.

Please let us know. Any comment, advice or participation is welcome.

Simone Gianni

Re: [DISCUSS] Amber proposal

Posted by Simone Gianni <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel,
we're planning to develop a library usable by other projects, for v1 and 1a
of OAuth, and then start from that first deliverable to work on an
implementation of v2. From what I understand the scope of the GSoC project
is already quite well delineated, however maybe the student could contibute
to the discussions on how Amber should be made to be interoparable with CXF,
eventually if it fits contribute code to Amber and work in parallel on CXF
for integrating Amber where needed.

I don't know if GSoC contemplates these "inter-project works", but since it
makes absolute sense not to waste Google money and student/mentor time in
creating a parallel implementation, IMO it is worth trying to merge the
effort. If it is possible given the GSoC bylaws, current state of the
proposal etc.. then it would be great.

Simone

Re: [DISCUSS] Amber proposal

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Interesting.

For CXF, we now have a Google Summer of Code project to add OAuth support to

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Amber proposal

Posted by Simone Gianni <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Scott,
thanks, I've added Wookie as one of the projects that could benefit from
Amber in the wiki proposal.

Simone

Re: [DISCUSS] Amber proposal

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Amber proposal

Posted by Simone Gianni <si...@apache.org>.
Thanks Gianugo for mentoring us,
if mentors, champion, sponsor, or other people on this list think there is
something else we should fix on the proposal draft, please let us know,
otherwise I'll start a vote on the proposal in the next few hours.

Thanks to everyone for the great interest and support,
Simone

Re: [DISCUSS] Amber proposal

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@gmail.com>.