Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Honey Bajaj <hb...@sapient.com> on 2010/08/12 07:20:20 UTC

Tomcat 6 | Load Balancer IP configuration added as virtual host

Hi,

I have an active-passive configuration of tomcat 6.0.18 running an ebxml based B2B gateway solution. The server is configured to run on port 8443 with a with a Cisco loadbalancer in front configured to NAT request received over 443 port (only to one active host at a time). Every thing works as expected for couple of hours but after that we start receiving failures, the only thing I can figure out from jmxproxy (manager application) is an additional virtual host directive being added containing load balancer IP/Port details, below is the jmx output for before and after failure in requests occurs. I need to understand why tomcat suddenly start adding the virtual host directive and do I have any option to solve it. Thanks for your help.

Request under normal query
Name: Catalina:type=RequestProcessor,worker=http-8443,name=HttpRequest49
modelerType: org.apache.tomcat.util.modeler.BaseModelMBean
requestProcessingTime: 0
bytesSent: 122002
rpName: Catalina:type=RequestProcessor,worker=http-8443,name=HttpRequest49
processingTime: 2500
errorCount: 0
maxTime: 309
requestBytesReceived: 0
maxRequestUri: /msh/
stage: 7
lastRequestProcessingTime: 309
globalProcessor: org.apache.coyote.RequestGroupInfo@184b3b<ma...@184b3b>
serverPort: -1
bytesReceived: 89744
requestCount: 24
requestBytesSent: 0
contentLength: -1
remoteAddr: 200.200.200.200

Request when failure occurs
Name: Catalina:type=RequestProcessor,worker=http-8443,name=HttpRequest15
modelerType: org.apache.tomcat.util.modeler.BaseModelMBean
requestProcessingTime: 938083
bytesSent: 199895
protocol: HTTP/1.1
rpName: Catalina:type=RequestProcessor,worker=http-8443,name=HttpRequest15
processingTime: 9971
errorCount: 0
maxTime: 1109
requestBytesReceived: 9390
maxRequestUri: /msh/
stage: 3
lastRequestProcessingTime: 222
globalProcessor: org.apache.coyote.RequestGroupInfo@184b3b<ma...@184b3b>
virtualHost: 80.80.80.80 (this is the load balancer ip and port)
serverPort: 443
bytesReceived: 241521
currentUri: /msh/
workerThreadName: http-8443-32
method: POST
requestCount: 48
requestBytesSent: 0
contentLength: 9390
remoteAddr: 200.200.200.200

Regards

Re: Tomcat 6 | Load Balancer IP configuration added as virtual host

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 15/08/2010 07:53, Honey Bajaj wrote:
> Thanks for responding, I have pasted two queries below and the later one contains an additional VirtualHost directive, it been appended on a running server on its own. I am not sure how this has happened and after that msh application starts generating errors.

Both of those are type=RequestProcessor not type=VirtualHost.

You can look elsewhere in the JMX data for the virtual hosts, if there
is one dynamically created you'll find it as a child of Engine.

Like 'serverPort', the information you're seeing is just an artifact of
it being an active request.

Look elsewhere for the source of your problem.  The list may be able to
help if you post useful error information from the logs, like
stacktraces, error messages.  So far you haven't actually described what
the real problem is.

Posted by Honey Bajaj <hb...@sapient.com>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Honey Bajaj <hb...@sapient.com>.