Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Massan <gr...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/02 15:27:31 UTC

Debian Linux and JAVA - _OPTS and _HOME

Hi,

What file I should modify to get these JAVA commands to work. I have tried
catalina.sh and almost all files in bin folder. Should it be like:

export JAVA_OPTS ...

And yes OS is Debian Linux.

Thanks buddys !

Re: Debian Linux and JAVA - _OPTS and _HOME

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Massan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What file I should modify to get these JAVA commands to work. I have tried
> catalina.sh and almost all files in bin folder. Should it be like:
>
> export JAVA_OPTS ...
>
> And yes OS is Debian Linux.

To answer your question directly, and in general :
You should create the file bin/setenv.sh if it is not there, then insert
your environment values there.
This file is read by catalina.sh if it exists.

About Debian in particular, have a look also at /etc/init.d/tomcatxxx
(where xxx is your tomcat version, which you did not say), and check how
it does things (what it calls to start tomcat, in what order).

Re: Debian Linux and JAVA - _OPTS and _HOME

Posted by Carsten Pohl <po...@tyntec.com>.
Have you tried

JRE_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/ ./catalina.sh run

or in your case

JAVA-OPTS=-Dsth ./catalina.sh run
..

Regards,