Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es> on 2002/05/06 02:48:52 UTC

Re: Talk to Geir.

Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> on 5/5/02 4:56 PM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:
>

>>Look, guys.
>>
>>This is a note to tell you guys to encourage Geir to retract the
>>insinuations he just made on the velocity list.
>>
>>Look, I know I can be a hard pill to swallow and all of that and I was
>>being provocative for the fun of it. But I do not take credit for
>>another man's work. I did write the Niggle framework.
>>
>>I already apologized for my provocative behavior, so it's nice and
>>symmetrical. Just tell Geir, for his own good, for your good, and for my
>>piece of mind, to retract the insinuations.
>

> Fuck off Jonathan. Don't try to get other people to fight your little lame
> ass wars for you.
>

>>I'll unsubscribe from your mailing list for good. You have my word.
>

> I'm not even on that list. :-)
>
> -jon

Okay, for the record, I tried to settle this in private. I wrote Geir
separately as well and got a similar response. I have stated that I need
him to retract the mendacious insinuation that I did not write Niggle. I
offered to unsubscribe from this mailing list for good.

I guess you guys have chosen the hard way.

<sigh>

--
Jonathan Revusky

Re: Talk to Geir.

Posted by bob mcwhirter <bo...@werken.com>.
On Mon, 6 May 2002, Jonathan Revusky wrote:

>  [ the same thing, over and over and over and over...]

Okay, we get the point.

	1) You're pissed off, and probably generally just an angry guy.
	2) You feel slandered by Geir.
	3) You want an apology (in public).

I think we all know these facts, so unless you have something *new* and
*different* to say, just sit back, be quiet, and see if things pan out.
Yelling the same profanities over and over and over certainly isn't
helping your case at all.  We're all getting tired of it.  And honestly,
I don't think anyone really cares.

Personally, I think you've done a worse injustice than Geir, in that
you've been rude and downright threatening to folks no even involved
in the original dispute.  Wishing for Jon to get hit by a bus is simply
wrong.  In civil society, you can't just spout off any evil thing you
want, quickly apologize, and then consider everything to be All Good.

Learn some inhibitions, dude.  Think before you type.

	-bob

Re: Talk to Geir.

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es>.
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> on 5/5/02 6:15 PM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:
>

>>I wanted it to be clear that I had attempted to resolve this issue in
>>private.
>

> One message that you sent in private?

Well, a dialogue has to start somewhere, Jon.

>>I guess I made a mistake in cc'ing you. I had figured that you behaved
>>like an asshole on mailing lists, but basically, as a prolific open
>>source author, you would understand that you don't go around insinuating
>>that someone didn't write the code that they did indeed write.
>

> I don't care what Geir says about you and trying to bring others into your
> stupid flamewar is nuts.

In this case, it probably was. I misjudged.

It's gone past a reasonable point. The insinuations that I did not write
Niggle strike me as slanderous.

>>I tried to resolve this in private.
>

> You are repeating yourself.
>

>>I hope you step in front of a truck, you piece of shit.
>

> Woah. You are a psychopath.

Okay, I retract the last bit. I despise you but I do not desire your
death. I was just very pissed off when I wrote that. You see, somebody
was insinuating on a public mailing list that I did not write the Niggle
framework, which I did write and I'm quite proud of. I am very upset
about that.

I guess you just don't understand that. It was a gamble. I thought you
and the other apache guys would understand that this was beyond the pale.

<sigh>

Time for your walk. Are you sure that you have friends? Maybe you're
just imagining them, like John Nash in "A Beautiful Mind".

--
Jonathan Revusky

Re: Talk to Geir.

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 5/5/02 6:15 PM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:

> I wanted it to be clear that I had attempted to resolve this issue in
> private.

One message that you sent in private?

> I guess I made a mistake in cc'ing you. I had figured that you behaved
> like an asshole on mailing lists, but basically, as a prolific open
> source author, you would understand that you don't go around insinuating
> that someone didn't write the code that they did indeed write.

I don't care what Geir says about you and trying to bring others into your
stupid flamewar is nuts.

> I tried to resolve this in private.

You are repeating yourself.

> I hope you step in front of a truck, you piece of shit.

Woah. You are a psychopath.

-jon

--
You kids are flame-war amateurs :) -Pier

RE: Talk to Geir.

Posted by "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com>.
Hey hey hey now.
Completely uncalled for.  Seriously.  I have been deleting most of these
messages being tossed around but I have had to read a few of them and
I am getting awfully disgusted.

Just stop.  Please.

No more responses.  Someone has to just take one on the chin and not
respond.  Not asking much here.  I am getting offended and angry.  And
I think this is reflecting poorly on the Velocity and FreeMarker/Niggle
communities.

I am asking nicely (I hope, on the behalf of many) to try to quell the
flames.  I'll be over on the WebWork list where users are polite...

Charlie

Re: Talk to Geir.

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es>.
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> on 5/5/02 5:48 PM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:
>

>>Okay, for the record, I tried to settle this in private.
>

> And then you take my private response and copy it to a public list?

I wanted it to be clear that I had attempted to resolve this issue in
private.

I guess I made a mistake in cc'ing you. I had figured that you behaved
like an asshole on mailing lists, but basically, as a prolific open
source author, you would understand that you don't go around insinuating
that someone didn't write the code that they did indeed write.

That was just wrong.

I knew
> you would be low enough of a person to do that so that is why I said it like
> that...you just made yourself look like even more of an asshole/idiot.

I tried to resolve this in private.

> It is sunny and beautiful in the Bay Area today...I'm going for a nice long
> walk with some friends and enjoy the day. Cya!

You mean you have friends? Shit, they must be masochists.

Enjoy your walk. (I hope you step in front of a truck, you piece of shit.)

> -jon

Jonathan Revusky

Re: Talk to Geir.

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 5/5/02 5:48 PM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:

> Okay, for the record, I tried to settle this in private.

And then you take my private response and copy it to a public list? I knew