Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Simon Chemouil <sc...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/15 12:17:40 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release config admin 1.8.3

Hi,

Since I've seen a bunch of these discuss / release threads lately, I
thought I'd propose one as well ;).

Jens Offenbach reported FELIX-4851[1] a few days ago which has been a
blocker for us both (separately) to use Felix SCR + Config Admin in
production.

It is a critical bug that prevents using Felix ConfigAdmin
implementation to create DS components safely. It's a tricky problem to
debug so who knows how many more experienced it? The same program can
work on some machines or OSes and not on others, depending on how much
time a bundle needs to go from states STARTING to ACTIVE (e.g, a recent
mail "ConfigAdmin 1.8.2 does not call ManagedServiceFactory updates
method" by Balazs Zsoldos in which he states his code doesn't work on
Windows but works on Linux; and works when the configuration is updated
again; that might be the cause?).

As far as I know there have been a few other fixes that would be nice to
see released, but this is the main blocker that imo justifies a release.

I'm not a committer on Felix so I can't propose to apply the patch and
cut the release, but maybe someone will step up? :-)

What do you think?

Thanks,

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-4851
--
Simon Chemouil

Re: [DISCUSS] Release config admin 1.8.3

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Ah yeah, that's it. Thanks for the reminder Guillaume ;)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Release config admin 1.8.3

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi JB,

in fact I thought 1.8.3 was already out but we are at 1.8.2 at the
moment. So Simon was simply right :-)

I just tested the change to remove the check for the bundlle status with
the karaf issue for config admin I opened. Unfortunately
it did not help. So I think we are talking about two different problems
here.

Christian

http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Release config admin 1.8.3

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Christian,

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi Simon,