Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/31 18:18:56 UTC

Project version in pom.xml in MINA trunk is stale

The pom file in MINA trunk:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/trunk/pom.xml

has the version 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT, yet 2.0.3 has already been released.

Normally the trunk version should be set to the next snapshot
revision, i.e. in this case 2.0.4-SNAPSHOT, and once 2.0.4 is
released, it would be updated to 2.0.5-SNAPSHOT.

Or am I missing something here?

Re: Project version in pom.xml in MINA trunk is stale

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 5/31/11 6:18 PM, sebb wrote:
> The pom file in MINA trunk:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/trunk/pom.xml
>
> has the version 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT, yet 2.0.3 has already been released.
>
> Normally the trunk version should be set to the next snapshot
> revision, i.e. in this case 2.0.4-SNAPSHOT, and once 2.0.4 is
> released, it would be updated to 2.0.5-SNAPSHOT.
>
> Or am I missing something here?
Well, we consider the 2.0 branch has closed. We just work on bug fixes
(ie, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3, 2.0.4).

The next version will be 3.0, and it's present in its own branch.

There are historical reason : when Trustin left the project, we had to
cope with the existing code, which was all but documented. It took us
quite some time to get a 2.0 released, and many technical decisions
taken back then weren't optimal. However, 2.0 is pretty stable now, and
we would like to move on by recreating a wider community around the next
version, and starting from what we learned while cleaning 2.0, we are
building 3.0 piece by piece.

So, yeah, trunk is staled. But it's not a big deal. As soon as 3.0 is
close to a preliminary working state, we will move it to trunk.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com