Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Roopesh Uniyal <ro...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/06 08:56:44 UTC

Issue while searching with escape characters

Hello I am searching Solr 6 via http call by providing a "UserID".

Its just that the data is in the format of (DVeto1)

So, in my call I have to provide parenthesis but since its a special
character I need to provide escape also. Looks like its not working

Provided the search string over http like these but none worked -

&#40;DVeto1&#41;
&#92;&#40;DVeto1&#92;&#41;

Since this is not working I am sure I am missing something. Will appreciate
your inputs.

Thanks!

Re: Issue while searching with escape characters

Posted by Roopesh Uniyal <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Emir.
Got it fixed. End customer's solr was not having the records itself. They
were trying to compare apples with oranges.

Posted by Emir Arnautović <em...@sematext.com>.
Hi Roopesh,

Posted by Roopesh Uniyal <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emir Arnautović <em...@sematext.com>.
Hi Roopesh,
What are *? Is it wildcard or special char as well? Examples that you provided are  not what you said you want to search - * are not on the same position. If you are not finding anything, that can be due to your analysis - are you sure that your analysis does not trim parenthesis?

Regards,
Emir

> On 6 Dec 2017, at 16:13, Roopesh Uniyal <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Emir & Jan!
>
> I have a situation where I need to search a field value is
> between parenthesis () like - *(DVeto1)*
>
> Based on the documentation
> <http://lucene.apache.org/core/7_1_0/queryparser/org/apache/lucene/queryparser/classic/package-summary.html#Escaping_Special_Characters>
> parenthesis just need escape character but no matter what way I provide it,
> its not providing resultset.
>
> %28*DVeto1*%29
> %5C%28*DVeto1*%5C%29
> %22%28%22*DVeto1*%22%29%22
> %22%5C%28%22*DVeto1*%22%5C%29%22
>

> Thanks,
> Roopesh
>
> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 7:44 AM, Emir Arnautović <
> emir.arnautovic@sematext.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> You need to escape special chars with \ and if you are sending it in URL
>> you can URL encode it, but that is URL related thing not Solr.
>>
>> Here is the list of Lucene characters that need to be escaped:
>> http://lucene.apache.org/core/7_1_0/queryparser/org/apache/
>> lucene/queryparser/classic/package-summary.html#Escaping_
>> Special_Characters <http://lucene.apache.org/core/7_1_0/queryparser/org/
>> apache/lucene/queryparser/classic/package-summary.html#
>> Escaping_Special_Characters>
>>
>> HTH,
>> Emir
>> --
>> Monitoring - Log Management - Alerting - Anomaly Detection
>> Solr & Elasticsearch Consulting Support Training - http://sematext.com/
>>

>>> On 6 Dec 2017, at 10:33, Roopesh Uniyal <ro...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Jan. It must be a late night. Not sure what I was thinking.
>>>
>>> I provided *%5C%28DVeto1%5C%29* but still not able to get the search
>> results
>>>
>>> I also have a situation where I have to search something like
>> *(ID#DVeto2)*
>>> and I am providing *%5C%28ID%23DVeto2%5C%2*9 and still not able to get
>> the
>>> resultsets.
>>>
>>> Its not throwing any error but no result found in these two scenarios.
>>> Although we know there should be some records.
>>>
>>> Am I missing anything?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> =

Antwort: Re: Issue while searching with escape characters

Posted by Ja...@continental-corporation.com.
Hi think, your first line ist correkt for the "value"-field ... what looks
your "key"-field like?
can you send the whole request, please?

something like this should work in my opinion:

(...)&key=%28DVeto1%29&(...)

Von:    Roopesh Uniyal <ro...@gmail.com>
An:     solr-user@lucene.apache.org,
Kopie:  Jan.Christopher.Schluchtmann-EXT@continental-corporation.com
Datum:  06.12.2017 16:14
Betreff:        Re: Issue while searching with escape characters

<

Posted by Roopesh Uniyal <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Emir & Jan!

Posted by Emir Arnautović <em...@sematext.com>.
Hi,
You need to escape special chars with \ and if you are sending it in URL you can URL encode it, but that is URL related thing not Solr.

Here is the list of Lucene characters that need to be escaped: http://lucene.apache.org/core/7_1_0/queryparser/org/apache/lucene/queryparser/classic/package-summary.html#Escaping_Special_Characters <http://lucene.apache.org/core/7_1_0/queryparser/org/apache/lucene/queryparser/classic/package-summary.html#Escaping_Special_Characters>

HTH,
Emir

Posted by Roopesh Uniyal <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jan. It must be a late night. Not sure what I was thinking.

I provided *%5C%28DVeto1%5C%29* but still not able to get the search results

I also have a situation where I have to search something like *(ID#DVeto2)*
and I am providing *%5C%28ID%23DVeto2%5C%2*9 and still not able to get the
resultsets.

Its not throwing any error but no result found in these two scenarios.
Although we know there should be some records.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:13 AM, <
Jan.Christopher.Schluchtmann-EXT@continental-corporation.com> wrote:

> hmm ... it seems, you are using XML/HTML-encoding, but you need
> HTTP-encoding, which looks like this:
>

> ␣      !       "       #       $       %       &       '       (       )
> *       +       ,       -       .       /       :       ;       <       =
> >       ?       @       [       \       ]       {       |       }
>
> %20     %21     %22     %23     %24     %25     %26     %27     %28 %29
> %2A     %2B     %2C     %2D     %2E     %2F     %3A     %3B     %3C %3D
> %3E     %3F     %40     %5B     %5C     %5D     %7B     %7C     %7D
>

> good luck! :)
>

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen/ With kind regards
>
> Jan Schluchtmann
> Systems Engineering Cluster Instruments
> VW Group
> Continental Automotive GmbH
> Division Interior
> ID S3 RM
> VDO-Strasse 1, 64832 Babenhausen, Germany
>
> Telefon/Phone: +49 6073 12-4346
> Telefax: +49 6073 12-79-4346
>

> Von:    Roopesh Uniyal <ro...@gmail.com>
> An:     solr-user@lucene.apache.org,
> Datum:  06.12.2017 09:57
> Betreff:        Issue while searching with escape characters
>

> Hello I am searching Solr 6 via http call by providing a "UserID".
>
> Its just that the data is in the format of (DVeto1)
>
> So, in my call I have to provide parenthesis but since its a special
> character I need to provide escape also. Looks like its not working
>
> Provided the search string over http like these but none worked -
>
> &#40;DVeto1&#41;
> &#92;&#40;DVeto1&#92;&#41;
>
> Since this is not working I am sure I am missing something. Will
> appreciate
> your inputs.
>
> Thanks!

Antwort: Issue while searching with escape characters