Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by maorhorn <mo...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/08 16:39:16 UTC

dummies question - how to create few instances of ActiveMq?

Hi guys,
Me and my friend want to communicate with the same server but each of us for
his own purpose [we run the same code but separately].
For that end, we cannot use the same activeMq instance (because of the
messages mixture).
My friend suggested to create a different instance of activeMq for each of
us, with his own port and name.

My question is -
How does it done?
I understand that I need to change the configuration file but how? and where
do I put the changes (I dat in the info section and fail to find something
that actucally suits the situation, I also tried by my own but than the
activeMq didn't run well... oops).

Thanks and have a great day :)

Re: dummies question - how to create few instances of ActiveMq?

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
Just curious if you can explain a little more about what you mean by "same
code but run separately" "because of the messages mixture"

A broker can handle all kinds of different message types and applications,
so running multiple brokers per app might not make sense. You can also open
up different transport connectors (TCP, TCP+NIO, SSL, HTTP, STOMP, MQTT,
etc) to handle different protocols...

But more to your question, my preferred way is to create multiple
"configuration" copies of the broker which all point to the same base. For
example:

./activemq create <brokerlocation>/broker1
./activemq create <brokerlocation>/broker2
./activemq create <brokerlocation>/broker3

will create three brokers that all have their own "bin, conf, data, lib,
tmp" dirs but all point to the same activemq base binary installation. You
can have your own configurations in the "conf" dir, each broker(n) with
it's own setup.

Christian

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 7:39 AM, maorhorn <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> Me and my friend want to communicate with the same server but each of us
> for
> his own purpose [we run the same code but separately].
> For that end, we cannot use the same activeMq instance (because of the
> messages mixture).
> My friend suggested to create a different instance of activeMq for each of
> us, with his own port and name.
>
> My question is -
> How does it done?
> I understand that I need to change the configuration file but how? and
> where
> do I put the changes (I dat in the info section and fail to find something
> that actucally suits the situation, I also tried by my own but than the
> activeMq didn't run well... oops).
>
> Thanks and have a great day :)

*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog