Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sohan Kalsariya <so...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/08 10:27:24 UTC

How to apply Semantic Search in Solr

Hello,

I am working on an event listing and promotions website(
http://allevents.in) and I want to apply semantic search on solr.
For example, if someone search :

"Musical Events in New York"
So it would give me results such as :

     * Musical Night at ABC place
     * Concerts Events
     * Classical Music Event
I mean all results should be Semantic to the Search_Query it should not
give the results only based on "tf-idf". So can you please make me
understand how do i proceed to apply Semantic Search in Solr. ( allevents.in)

*Sohan Kalsariya*

Re: How to apply Semantic Search in Solr

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
You will need to implement a sematic/text classification/categorization
algorithm and annotate each document with additional fields for the
categories before presenting it to Solr.

For a couple of examples, see:
http://www.slideshare.net/lucenerevolution/text-classification-with-lucenesolr-apache-hadoop-and-libsvm
http://www.slideshare.net/teofili/text-categorization-with-lucene-and-solr

Or google for "text classification" or "text categorization" and "solr".

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Sujit Pal <su...@comcast.net>.
Hi Sohan,

Given you have 15 days and this looks like a class project, I would suggest
going with John Berryman's approach - he also provides code which you can
just apply to your data. Even if you don't get the exact expansions you
desire, I think you will get results that will pleasantly surprise you :-).

-sujit

Posted by Sohan Kalsariya <so...@gmail.com>.
Hey Sujit thanks a lot.

Posted by Sujit Pal <su...@comcast.net>.