Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/12 12:20:02 UTC

Julia package

Hi,

With the upcoming release and the new julia implementation, shall we
consider to ship the julia package from apache/arrow with the 3.0
release?
I'm also a bit confused since I can see some activity in the original
repository [1], but not in the arrow repository.

Thanks, Krisztian

[1]: https://github.com/JuliaData/Arrow.jl/commits/main

Re: Julia package

Posted by Jacob Quinn <qu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Krisztián,

I explained a little bit the setup [here](
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/9121#discussion_r554149673) recently.
We're still in a transition from the JuliaData repo to apache/arrow in
terms of development (traditionally Julia packages are their own github
repos, so users have been trained to open issues/PRs to the repo directly).
So far this has remained the easier path due to recent CI issues w/
apache/arrow and the overall low Julia traffic/review time on apache/arrow
PRs, but I think it's something we can work on.

For now, I think the easiest release for Julia is updating the installation
instructions to be:

using Pkg; Pkg.add(url="https://github.com/apache/arrow", subdir="
julia/Arrow.jl", rev="apache-arrow-3.0.0")

Which was coincidentally just merged this morning. That will allow users to
checkout the exact release commit for the julia code in the apache/arrow
repo. And for the meantime, the rate of bugfixes has still been pretty
high, so we've been doing our own bugfix patch releases from the JuliaData
repo.
If people have ideas on how to make the process smoother, I'm open; this
seems to work for the moment, as we continue working on integrating Julia.

-Jacob