Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2018/12/07 17:03:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Hi folks!

Per the email from infra "[NOTICE] Mandatory relocation of Apache git repositories on git-wip-us.apache.org" ( https://s.apache.org/0sfe ) it looks like the future of interacting directly with PRs is coming sooner rather than later.

I think we should move to gitbox ASAP rather than wait for the crunch. If we hit a rough spot we're more likely to get some help when things aren't busy. Maybe we wait until our open RCs close so that folks that need to tag those releases don't need to update their workflow first?

Presuming everyone still agrees that we get value out of JIRA, I think we need update our committer guidelines to expressly remind folks to check on things like commit messages before merging PRs, as well as to ensure folks use the "squash and merge" option to keep the git history less complicated. Probably a good time to add text about the importance of backporting, since there isn't a github UI for doing that.

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
Once we can show a consensus position one of the PMC files an INFRA
jira and then they coordinate with us (but I don't know specifically
what that coordination looks like).

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Misty Linville <mi...@apache.org>.
+1 What needs to happen next?

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
In the interest of helping this discussion along, let me change this from
an open ended comment to a specific proposal.

What if we require a PR for every commit? No cherry picking. This would
mean that a change might need three or four, or possibly even five PRs, one
for each affected branch. The primary benefit is we fully commit to the
GitHub way of managing workflow. We can still do JIRAs but they become
independent of commit work. (They kind of are already, if you think about
it. A change is reviewed for master and then backported, and the backports
may or may not see review themselves, and may or may not be done on a
different JIRA, there's no consistency there.) This would have the
additional benefit of raising the visibility of changes going into
maintenance branches. Rather than have a committer possibly doing cherry
picks in the background there would be a nominal PR review cycle for
everything. Overall it raises our workload, though. Even if a committer or
PMC opts to ignore the additional PRs raised for backports there is still
some cognitive work needed to sort through the list of PRs or emails about
same and decide what to ignore. Would also require branch maintainers to be
responsive to gitbox at-mentions, though. Probably would also require
branch maintainers to drive the additional PRs for changes landing in their
respective branch(es).

What do you think?

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
Today if you add a link to a PR on the main repo to a JIRA ticket and put
it in patch available status, yetus should properly recognize and use it
for testing. The results should go to JIRA like normal.

I don't think it's gotten much testing in our setup. (And it wouldn't work
on the operator tools or connectors repos because our precommit currently
only knows about the main repo.)

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
I filed a ticket with INFRA:

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org>.
Created HBASE-21701 'Accept pull requests from contributors' and added to a
comment what was collected until now. Feel free to add more there!

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Tamas Penzes <ta...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1 for rebase and merge.

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Ankit Singhal <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org>.
I believe we reached consensus to migrate our remaining repositories to
GitBox before the mandatory migration which will happen on 7th of February.
Apart from 'hbase' we still have 'hbase-site' and 'hbase-thirdparty'
repositories that also require the same migration process.

From users' point of view they could still use git://

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] move to gitbox