Posted to community@apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2002/10/27 01:07:41 UTC

Why aren't they committers? (was: [VOTE] Open this list)

Peter Donald wrote:

> Why do non-committers care about how Apache is evolving? And if they care so
> much why aren't they committers?

There are going to be culture classes as we try to move towards becoming
one big happy family.  Most of it is due to ingrained assumptions that
we have all built up over long periods of time.  My aim is to actively
seek them  out and surface them for all of us to inspect, discuss, and
learn from.

Peter, take a moment and glance at
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html.  Search for "Apache
Developers".

- Sam Ruby

Re: Why aren't they committers? (was: [VOTE] Open this list)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> > did you mean 'clashes'?  just want to make sure, since it changes the
> > meaning a little.. :-)
>
> Ouch!  Yes.  Ever notice how many of your typos end up being amazingly
> close to keywords in programming languages that you happen to use...

indeed.  a customer support friend told me about an oddball request
from a customer: to *remove* a word from the system dictionary.
they carefully spell-checked the announcement they were sending
to 25'000 people, and found no errors -- so blithely invited all those
people to a 'pubic auction'.

'we have *no need* for the word pubic in our dictionary!' said the
customer.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Why aren't they committers? (was: [VOTE] Open this list)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> Ouch!  Yes.  Ever notice how many of your typos end up being amazingly
> close to keywords in programming languages that you happen to use...

++1 - just no one end an argument with fi or esac ;-)

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> There are going to be culture classes as we try to move towards becoming
> one big happy family.

did you mean 'clashes'?  just want to make sure, since it changes the
meaning a little.. :-)

> Most of it is due to ingrained assumptions that
> we have all built up over long periods of time.  My aim is to actively
> seek them  out and surface them for all of us to inspect, discuss, and
> learn from.

+1
--
#ken	P-)}