Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/01/07 00:32:42 UTC

multi() contract or lack thereof

Hi.
Looking at code, the way multi currently works is that either the entire
thing fails with an exception, or multiresponse is returned with exactly
one result/exception per action in multiaction, in corresponding order.
This sounds like a reasonable API contract, but it could be "by accident".
Do you think we can rely on this remaining true?
That way I can remove passing action index from client back and forth thru
the server (with backward compat ofc).

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: multi() contract or lack thereof

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.
The index is always with respect to the original list on client; server
just sends it back.
Actually, nevermind, I noticed for each action what I said is not true.
Non-atomic ops can reorder, and atomic ops appear to add nothing to
response (I wonder how this works...)

Posted by Jimmy Xiang <jx...@cloudera.com>.