Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> on 2004/06/23 20:53:24 UTC

[mp2] recent apr changes

I was wondering about some recent changes made to mp2 in
connection with decoupling APR::* modules from mod_perl.so -
has anyone with a unix multi-thread perl-5.8.x found any
problems? I've been trying to get things working on Win32,
and am having problems with some tests hanging when those
tests involve some APR::* modules. The apr-ext tests work
OK, though. But before tracking this down, I just want to
check to see if this seems to be a Win32-specific problem.
Thanks.

--
best regards,
randy

Re: [mp2] recent apr changes

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Randy Kobes wrote:
>
>>I was wondering about some recent changes made to mp2 in
>>connection with decoupling APR::* modules from mod_perl.so -
>>has anyone with a unix multi-thread perl-5.8.x found any
>>problems? I've been trying to get things working on Win32,
>>and am having problems with some tests hanging when those
>>tests involve some APR::* modules. The apr-ext tests work
>>OK, though. But before tracking this down, I just want to
>>check to see if this seems to be a Win32-specific problem.
>>Thanks.
>

> t/user/rewrite.t hangs for me on worker and eventually fails, but it has for
> some time now, so it's probably unrelated to your stuff.  other than that,
> my nightly builds (threaded, unthreaded, prefork and worker) ran fine
> execept for that test.

Do you still have this problem? I would like to have 100% pass on all builds
before moving on. If you do please send a complete report, since I can't see
that problem on my setup... Thanks.

Re: [mp2] recent apr changes

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Geoffrey Young wrote:
> >
> > Randy Kobes wrote:
> >
> >>I was wondering about some recent changes made to mp2 in
> >>connection with decoupling APR::* modules from mod_perl.so -
> >>has anyone with a unix multi-thread perl-5.8.x found any
> >>problems? I've been trying to get things working on Win32,
> >>and am having problems with some tests hanging when those
> >>tests involve some APR::* modules. The apr-ext tests work
> >>OK, though. But before tracking this down, I just want to
> >>check to see if this seems to be a Win32-specific problem.
> >>Thanks.
>
> I won't be able to run the full smoke for a few days. I'll
> let you know when I get the chance to do so. But since
> Geoff has a similar setup I doubt I'll have different
> results.

That's true - I just wanted to check. Thanks.

> Try to use t/SMOKE to figure out the sequences of tests
> that lead to a failure.

I'll do that. The problem for me seems to involve tests that
use APR::*, but not in a simple manner (the order and number
of tests matters, which is just what t/SMOKE should help
with). It's somewhat encouraging though that the apr-ext
tests all pass - it's the others that are causing problems.

To try to eliminate one possibility, I've also tried
changing the build procedure from the present shared (dll)
linking against APR.so to one that makes up a separate
static library of all the necessary symbols from
mod_perl.so, and then link APR::* against this static lib.
The same tests still hang, though.

--
best regards,
randy

Re: [mp2] recent apr changes

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Randy Kobes wrote:
>
>>I was wondering about some recent changes made to mp2 in
>>connection with decoupling APR::* modules from mod_perl.so -
>>has anyone with a unix multi-thread perl-5.8.x found any
>>problems? I've been trying to get things working on Win32,
>>and am having problems with some tests hanging when those
>>tests involve some APR::* modules. The apr-ext tests work
>>OK, though. But before tracking this down, I just want to
>>check to see if this seems to be a Win32-specific problem.
>>Thanks.

I won't be able to run the full smoke for a few days. I'll let you know when I
get the chance to do so. But since Geoff has a similar setup I doubt I'll have
different results.

Try to use t/SMOKE to figure out the sequences of tests that lead to a failure.

> t/user/rewrite.t hangs for me on worker and eventually fails, but it has for
> some time now, so it's probably unrelated to your stuff.  other than that,
> my nightly builds (threaded, unthreaded, prefork and worker) ran fine
> execept for that test.

May be it has something to do with PerlMapToStorageHandler?

Re: [mp2] recent apr changes

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Randy Kobes wrote:
> I was wondering about some recent changes made to mp2 in
> connection with decoupling APR::* modules from mod_perl.so -
> has anyone with a unix multi-thread perl-5.8.x found any
> problems? I've been trying to get things working on Win32,
> and am having problems with some tests hanging when those
> tests involve some APR::* modules. The apr-ext tests work
> OK, though. But before tracking this down, I just want to
> check to see if this seems to be a Win32-specific problem.
> Thanks.

t/user/rewrite.t hangs for me on worker and eventually fails, but it has for
some time now, so it's probably unrelated to your stuff.  other than that,
my nightly builds (threaded, unthreaded, prefork and worker) ran fine
execept for that test.

--Geoff