Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr> on 2006/02/08 11:47:08 UTC

Body overlapping over the footnotes

  Hi

  I have a problem with the 'xsl-region-body' that overlap
with the 'xsl-region-after'.  I tried to reduce the problem,
but I was not able to identify precisely the problem.

  Here are the FO source and the PDF output produced by FOP
0.91beta:

    FO:  http://cjoint.com/?cilOqguiGW
    PDF: http://cjoint.com/?cilOZHyhA2

  Thanks for help.  Regards,

--drkm

Re: Body overlapping over the footnotes

Posted by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> I've fixed the problem in FOP Trunk:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=376226&view=rev

> There was another bug that surfaced with your test file
> once I had fixed the above problem. That is fixed, too:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=376235&view=rev

  Very good news.  Thanks a bunch.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 09.02.2006 01:04:10 Florent Georges wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > I need to verify first but I think I know what's wrong. For those who
> > know the technical details: I think the list layout managers ignore
> > padding-top and padding-bottom when they produce the combined element
> > list. I had to fix a similar problem for tables and it may be that I
> > didn't also check lists back when I did that. I'll look into it
> > tomorrow.
>
>   I don't exactly know the technical details, but I can imagine the
> source of the problem.  And the solution below tends to confirm your
> intuition, IMHO.

I've fixed the problem in FOP Trunk:

There was another bug that surfaced with your test file once I had fixed
the above problem. That is fixed, too:

<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Body overlapping over the footnotes

Posted by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> I need to verify first but I think I know what's wrong. For those who
> know the technical details: I think the list layout managers ignore
> padding-top and padding-bottom when they produce the combined element
> list. I had to fix a similar problem for tables and it may be that I
> didn't also check lists back when I did that. I'll look into it
> tomorrow.

  I don't exactly know the technical details, but I can imagine the
source of the problem.  And the solution below tends to confirm your
intuition, IMHO.

> The immediate work-around would be to replace padding-top and
> padding-bottom with space-before and space-after
> (conditionality="retain")
> on the child elements of the list items. But that's an ugly hack. I
> better fix this.

  Sure.  But it works.  Hopefully: I have a deadline soon (all
deadlines are soon ;-p).  Because I'm using XSLT 2.0, I still have a
"clear work aroud":

     <xsl:template match="/">
       <xsl:variable name="first.pass">
         <xsl:apply-templates/>
       </xsl:variable>
       <xsl:variable name="second.pass">
         <xsl:apply-templates select="$first.pass"
                              mode="post.process"/>
       </xsl:variable>
       <fo:root>
         <xsl:apply-templates select="$second.pass"
                              mode="fop.0.91beta.bug"/>
       </fo:root>
     </xsl:template>
     <xsl:template match="node()|@*" mode="post.process">
     </xsl:template>
     <xsl:template match="@*|node()" mode="fop.0.91beta.bug">
       <xsl:copy>
         <xsl:apply-templates select="@*|node()"
                              mode="fop.0.91beta.bug"/>
       </xsl:copy>
     </xsl:template>
     <xsl:template match="fo:list-item" mode="fop.0.91beta.bug">
       <xsl:copy>
         <xsl:apply-templates
             select="node()|@*[not(name() eq 'padding-bottom'

                                   or name() eq 'padding-top')]"
             mode="fop.0.91beta.bug"/>
       </xsl:copy>
     </xsl:template>
     <xsl:template match="fo:list-item-label/*|fo:list-item-body/*"
                   mode="fop.0.91beta.bug">
       <xsl:variable name="top"
                     select="../../@padding-top"/>
       <xsl:variable name="bottom"
                     select="../../@padding-bottom"/>
       <xsl:copy>
         <xsl:if test="$top">
           <xsl:attribute name="space-before" select="$top"/>
         </xsl:if>
         <xsl:if test="$bottom">
           <xsl:attribute name="space-after" select="$bottom"/>
         </xsl:if>
         <xsl:apply-templates select="@*|node()"
                              mode="fop.0.91beta.bug"/>
       </xsl:copy>
     </xsl:template>

  Thanks for this rapid solution.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

On 08.02.2006 17:15:39 Florent Georges wrote:
> Chris Bowditch wrote:
>
> > The problem appears obvious to me, look at your
> > simple-page-master:
>
> >    <fo:region-body margin-left="50pt" margin-top="75pt"
> > margin-bottom="75pt" margin-right="50pt" />
> >    <fo:region-before extent="76pt" precedence="true" />
> >    <fo:region-after extent="100pt" precedence="true" />
> >    <fo:region-start extent="52pt" />
> >    <fo:region-end extent="39pt" />
>
> > The size allowed for the region-after is 100pt, but your
> > region-body only has a bottom margin of 75pt.
>
>   Yes, indeed.  Thanks for pointed this out.
>
> > Change the bottom margin to 100pt and  they will not
> > overlap.
>
>   Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the problem.  Actually, this solve
> the problem in the simple example I have shown you.  But not in the
> real document, thanks to Murphy.
>
>   I post the real FO and PDF (with alphanumeric modified) resp. there:
>
>     http://cjoint.com/?cirmeCeuif
>     http://cjoint.com/?cirmBb6ffr
>     http://cjoint.com/?cirm61QAdJ
>
> The last one is the FO, indented (not really the original FO, but more
> readable).
>
>   Thanks in advance.  Regards,

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Body overlapping over the footnotes

Posted by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr>.
Florent Georges wrote:

>   I post the real FO and PDF (with alphanumeric modified) resp.
> there:

  Simplified:

    http://cjoint.com/?ciuNyWQ2oV
    http://cjoint.com/?ciuNYOUH7C

Posted by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr>.

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Florent Georges wrote:
>   Hi
>
>   I have a problem with the 'xsl-region-body' that overlap
> with the 'xsl-region-after'.  I tried to reduce the problem,
> but I was not able to identify precisely the problem.

The problem appears obvious to me, look at your simple-page-master:

   <fo:region-body margin-left="50pt" margin-top="75pt"
margin-bottom="75pt" margin-right="50pt" />
   <fo:region-before extent="76pt" precedence="true" />
   <fo:region-after extent="100pt" precedence="true" />
   <fo:region-start extent="52pt" />
   <fo:region-end extent="39pt" />

The size allowed for the region-after is 100pt, but your region-body
only has a bottom margin of 75pt. Change the bottom margin to 100pt and
they will not overlap.

Chris