Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Khairul Azhar <ka...@gmail.com> on 2004/10/05 02:27:12 UTC

svnadmin error: Can't convert module path to UTF-8

Hello all,

Every time I try to run svnadmin (even 'svnadmin help' or just plain
'svnadmin'), I get this error:

   Can't convert module path to UTF-8

Note that the other commands (except svnserve) seem to work fine. How
do I solve this?

I'm using Subversion 1.1.0 (zipped version) on Windows 98 (not the SE version).

Re: svnadmin error: Can't convert module path to UTF-8

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Saturday 09 October 2004 12:24, John Szakmeister wrote:
[snip]

> Should've gone with XP. :-)  I've managed to build a svnadmin.exe, and
> I think I may have patched this... can I email you off list with a .zip
> file containing the appropriate binaries?  I've included all the
> necessary DLLs, so it's about 720K in size.

I should've been more specific.  Can I send you the binaries and have you
try them out on your Win 98 installation?  I didn't have any luck finding
an old cd with it here at home.

-John

Re: svnadmin error: Can't convert module path to UTF-8

Posted by Khairul Azhar <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Saturday 09 October 2004 02:14, Khairul Azhar wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:05:14 -0400, John Szakmeister
>
> <jo...@szakmeister.net> wrote:
> > This is what I suspected was happening when I composed my e-mail last
> > night, I just couldn't find hard proof of it.  Now that we know what
> > the problem, would you mind putting it into the issue tracker?  I'm
> > going to see if I can learn to build Subversion on the Windows
> > platform, and then see if I can get this problem fixed.
>
> It is now issue 2091.

Thank you!

Posted by Khairul Azhar <ka...@gmail.com>.
<jo...@szakmeister.net> wrote:

> This is what I suspected was happening when I composed my e-mail last
> night, I just couldn't find hard proof of it.  Now that we know what
> the problem, would you mind putting it into the issue tracker?  I'm
> going to see if I can learn to build Subversion on the Windows
> platform, and then see if I can get this problem fixed.

It is now issue 2091.

> > (As a side note, yes I know I should be using an NT-derivative. But
> > with all the viruses out there, I'm waiting until AutoPatcher 2000
> > [http://www.autopatcher.com/ ] comes out before I upgrade.)
>
> I will, or I'll take a separate path for non-NT clients.  One or the
> the other will help fix this problem.  Thanks for taking the time to
> research this with me.  Hopefully, I can get a patch created soon.  If
> I can't get the Windows build going on my machine, I'll try and rope
> in one of the other Windows developers for Subversion and have them
> try it.

I've decided to upgrade to Windows 2000 anyway. I'll keep Windows 98
on dual-boot though.

> Thanks!

You're welcome. :-)

Re: svnadmin error: Can't convert module path to UTF-8

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
Thursday, October 7, 2004, 12:14:30 AM, Khairul Azhar wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:28:03 -0400, John Szakmeister
> <jo...@szakmeister.net> wrote:
>
>> However, the more I think about this, the more I think
>> GetModuleFileNameW() isn't necessarily to blame.  If Win 98 didn't have
>> this function at all, the loader would fail to start the executable
>> altogether because it wouldn't be able to resolve the reference to
>> GetModuleFileNameW().  It's not failing in that regard, so there
>> *must* be something there... I just can't tell what it should do by
>> default.
>
> You might want to read this: -
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/win9x/chilimit_5alv.asp
>
> Especially the part that says (emphasis mine):
>
> "However, Windows 95/98/Me does not implement the Unicode (or wide
> character) version of most functions. With few exceptions, these
> functions are implemented as *stubs* that simply return an error
> value."
>
> I suspect that GetModuleFileNameW on Win98 simply returns
> ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED... and leaves ucs2_path uninitialized.
>
> BTW, you might want to check the return value of GetModuleFileNameW.

This is what I suspected was happening when I composed my e-mail last
night, I just couldn't find hard proof of it.  Now that we know what
the problem, would you mind putting it into the issue tracker?  I'm
going to see if I can learn to build Subversion on the Windows
platform, and then see if I can get this problem fixed.

>> Unfortunately, I cannot confirm it.  I don't have access to a Win 98
>> machine.  Every machine I can touch is an NT derivative. :-(  With
>> that said, it would be hard to solve a problem when I can recreate it.
>> Before you file a bug report, I think we need to set up a reproduction
>> recipe.  Can you provide a transcript of what you're doing?  Can you
>> also include the path of where you installed Subversion, and the path
>> for where you're running svnadmin from?
>
> Installation path: C:\svn-win32-1.1.0
> Path where I'm running svnadmin from: C:\svn-win32-1.1.0\bin
> APR_ICONV_PATH: C:\svn-win32-1.1.0\iconv
>
> What I did:
>    1. Install Subversion 1.1.0.
>    2. Run 'svnadmin' (no arguments).
>
> Do you need more details?

No, this is fine. :-)

>> > I knew this the hard way. For a while, the 1.1.0-rc3 version of
>> > svnadmin worked. Now I think it's because the alignment of the planets
>> > were correct, and that the (uninitialized) ucs2_path wasn't corrupted
>> > with non-UTF-8 garbage.
>>
>> I think there is something else going on here... I'm not sure what
>> though.  Every command-line utility is calling this routine, we should
>> be seeing the same failure in other tools.
>>
>> BTW, I compared the source tree for 1.1.0-rc3 and 1.1.0, and I don't
>> see a difference that would've all of sudden made svnadmin stop
>> working.
>
> What I meant is that when I was using Subversion 1.1.0-rc3, svnadmin
> worked for a while and then it stopped working. That why I suspect
> it's due to ucs2_path being uninitialized (i.e. memory corruption).
>
> If so, reproduction might be iffy.

I agree, the stars must have been aligned in order for it to squeeze
on by like this. :-)  We'll see if there is something better that we
can do here.

Posted by Khairul Azhar <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
Wednesday, October 6, 2004, 10:13:35 PM, Khairul Azhar wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:38:45 -0400, John Szakmeister
> <jo...@szakmeister.net> wrote:
>
>> > Hmm...Isn't GetModuleFileNameW (the Unicode version of
>> > GetModuleFileName) only implemented under Windows NT-based systems?
>> > What is it doing in a Win98 MBCS-based system?
>>
>> I forgot that you were running on Win 98.  This may be a problem.
>
> Can you confirm this problem? Are you planning to solve this problem
> anytime soon? Do I need to file a bug report?

Unfortunately, I cannot confirm it.  I don't have access to a Win 98
machine.  Every machine I can touch is an NT derivative. :-(  With
that said, it would be hard to solve a problem when I can recreate it.
Before you file a bug report, I think we need to set up a reproduction
recipe.  Can you provide a transcript of what you're doing?  Can you
also include the path of where you installed Subversion, and the path
for where you're running svnadmin from?

However, the more I think about this, the more I think
GetModuleFileNameW() isn't necessarily to blame.  If Win 98 didn't have
this function at all, the loader would fail to start the executable
altogether because it wouldn't be able to resolve the reference to
GetModuleFileNameW().  It's not failing in that regard, so there
*must* be something there... I just can't tell what it should do by
default.

>> ... The BDB backend doesn't work on Win 98
>
> I knew this the hard way. For a while, the 1.1.0-rc3 version of
> svnadmin worked. Now I think it's because the alignment of the planets
> were correct, and that the (uninitialized) ucs2_path wasn't corrupted
> with non-UTF-8 garbage.

I think there is something else going on here... I'm not sure what
though.  Every command-line utility is calling this routine, we should
be seeing the same failure in other tools.

BTW, I compared the source tree for 1.1.0-rc3 and 1.1.0, and I don't
see a difference that would've all of sudden made svnadmin stop
working.

> It probably explains why 'svn', 'svnlook', 'svnversion' and
> 'svndumpfilter' (seemed to) worked. They simply got lucky.

No, unfortunately, it doesn't.  All of those function call this routine
too... there is something else wrong here.  All of those files should be
in the bin/ directory of the installation, and therefore, should all be
manipulating similar paths.  The only part that changes in is the
executable name at the end.

> BTW,  what is Subversion doing with the module path anyway?

It appears to be setting up a path to the locale files, and I'm
guessing that's to support internationalization.

>> > Anyway, I'll be downloading the Microsoft Layer for Unicode (MSLU) for
>> > Windows 95/98/Me. I'll let you know whether it solves the problem when
>> > I get back to work tomorrow.
>>
>> Let me know if that works, but looking at the documentation, it appears
>> that you the binaries need to be linked against another DLL.  I don't
>> think our Win32 binaries are linked against that particular DLL. :-(
>
> You're right. It's for developers only. I've been living in Java for
> too long... :-(

I figured as much.

Posted by Khairul Azhar <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Wednesday 06 October 2004 10:45, Khairul Azhar wrote:
[snip]
> Hmm...Isn't GetModuleFileNameW (the Unicode version of
> GetModuleFileName) only implemented under Windows NT-based systems?
> What is it doing in a Win98 MBCS-based system?

I forgot that you were running on Win 98.  This may be a problem.  It also
presents another problem too.  The BDB backend doesn't work on Win 98
(check out http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#portability) for
the a little more information.  That said, we have a new backend in 1.1
called 'fsfs'.  So if you're going to try, make sure you use that
backend.  You can create an fsfs repository by running:
  svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs name-of-repo

Posted by Khairul Azhar <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 06:53:08 -0400, John Szakmeister
<jo...@szakmeister.net> wrote:

> ...  Is there another 'svnadmin' executable laying around in
> your path somewhere that you might accidentally be executing instead?

Nope.

> If you take a look at:
>   http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/subversion/libsvn_subr/cmdline.c
>
> you'll see that the svn_cmdline_init() function is generating this error.

[Forgive me if I get my technical stuff wrong. It has been a long time
since I last tried Windows programming]

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Tuesday 05 October 2004 23:19, Khairul Azhar wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:30:33 -0400, John Szakmeister
>
> <jo...@szakmeister.net> wrote:
> > I do have a couple of ideas.  First, I know there were a few issues
> > with the first Win32 binaries that were released.  You may want to
> > try and download the .zip file again.
>
> I downloaded svn-1.1.0-setup.exe (the installer version) and installed
> it. No joy.

Bummer.

> > Secondly, looking at the code, it appears that the above error can
> > occur if we fail to convert the path to the launched executable into
> > a valid UTF-8 sequence.  Have you tried running something like 'svn
> > --help' from the same directory that you're running 'svnadmin' from?
>
> Okay. The following commands work (as far as I can tell):
>
> svn
> svnlook
> svnversion
> svndumpfilter

> The following commands do not work (gives the "Can't convert module
> path to UTF-8" error):
>
> svnadmin
> svnserve

This is what I find perplexing.  'svn', 'svnlook', 'svnversion', and
'svndumpfilter' all call svn_cmdline_init(), and they're fine.  What in
the world is making 'svnadmin' and 'svnserve' work differently?

> What executable are you talking about here? What path? (You can talk
> in more technical terms if you want)

If you take a look at:
  http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/subversion/libsvn_subr/cmdline.c

you'll see that the svn_cmdline_init() function is generating this error.
If it's failing for 'svnadmin', then I'd expect it to be failing for
*all* of them.  Is there another 'svnadmin' executable laying around in

Posted by Khairul Azhar <ka...@gmail.com>.
<jo...@szakmeister.net> wrote:

> I do have a couple of ideas.  First, I know there were a few issues with
> the first Win32 binaries that were released.  You may want to try and
> download the .zip file again.

I downloaded svn-1.1.0-setup.exe (the installer version) and installed
it. No joy.

> Secondly, looking at the code, it appears that the above error can occur
> if we fail to convert the path to the launched executable into a valid
> UTF-8 sequence.  Have you tried running something like 'svn --help' from
> the same directory that you're running 'svnadmin' from?

Okay. The following commands work (as far as I can tell):

svn
svnlook
svnversion
svndumpfilter

The following commands do not work (gives the "Can't convert module
path to UTF-8" error):

svnadmin
svnserve

What executable are you talking about here? What path? (You can talk
in more technical terms if you want)

As a side note, TortoiseSVN is able to create a repository, but I
can't load repository dumps with it.

Re: svnadmin error: Can't convert module path to UTF-8

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.

Posted by Khairul Azhar <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.