Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Ballist1c <le...@msn.com> on 2007/10/26 06:49:28 UTC

Changing IDEs to eclipse

Hey guys,

I have been developing up until now, solely on netbeans and it is really
starting to crap itself now. Netbeans did have alot of stuff setup with
integrated tomcat which made things conveinient.

So ive chosen to move to eclipse, and to jetty webserver and I am having
alot of trouble setting up the whole IDE. I have heard alot of talk about
maven, but i am not sure if its applicable as i have the wicket sources
already jarred up and now just working on getting my own code compiled into
a web app and automatically deploying.

Anyone have any resources on this?  I am using the latest Eclipse Europa
3.3, with Jetty 6.1.5.

Thanks guys :)

Take care!

Re: Changing IDEs to eclipse

Posted by Ballist1c <le...@msn.com>.
Okay its all working now,

What was missing in that last bit is the proper configuration for the
context.xml in the META-INF and web.xml in WEB-INF.  I had to use tomcat 6.0
configuration xml.  It took me a while to figure out taht the context.xml
was suppsed to be in the webcontent/meta-inf folder.

Great learning experiance, thanks for all your help guys, learnt a new thing
today :)

Re: Changing IDEs to eclipse

Posted by Johan Maasing <jm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changing IDEs to eclipse

Posted by Ballist1c <le...@msn.com>.
Thanks for the heads up guys,

I have made progress, The source files and main project are finally
compiling now without any errors :D The project has been loaded as a
'Dynamic Web Project'... embarassing as it is... it took me a while to
figure that out ...

However, i cant figure out how to get the thing to deploy on a web service.
I have installed the tomcat plug in which has made it a breeze to start up
the service from within Eclipse :) I cant seem to get the tomcat server to
load my bloody project.  I am getting it to run tomcat 6.0.14 which is
moment I cant figure out how to configure it to load my class files.

I know loading things up as a web app don't follow the normal quick start
guide.  Unfortunately, It does not work to convert the project away from
running as a web app :(

Re: Changing IDEs to eclipse

Posted by Maurice Marrink <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changing IDEs to eclipse

Posted by Ballist1c <le...@msn.com>.

Re: Changing IDEs to eclipse

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changing IDEs to eclipse

Posted by Thies Edeling <th...@rrm.net>.
Indeed the Sysdeo plugin works a lot better than WTP. For more
convenience they provide a development classloader allowing you to load
the dependencies of your Eclipse project into Tomcat.
Just set your context root to src/main/webapp, add maven's target
directory and any dependencies to the development classloader and off
you go.
http://www.eclipsetotale.com/tomcatPlugin/readmeDevLoader.html

--
http://www.ehour.nl/
http://blog.ehour.nl/

Re: Changing IDEs to eclipse

Posted by James Law <jl...@umich.edu>.

Re: Changing IDEs to eclipse

Posted by Matthijs Wensveen <m....@func.nl>.
Double-click the server, click the modules tab, uncheck 'enable
reloading' on the module that is the project you are working on.

BTW, I use Eclipse and Maven and it just works great together.
Unfortunately there is no support for WTP 2.0 yet for the maven eclipse
(or should I say eclipse maven) plugin. So everyone, go nag at:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-264

Matthijs

Re: Changing IDEs to eclipse

Posted by Johan Maasing <jm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changing IDEs to eclipse

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Re: Changing IDEs to eclipse

Posted by Chris Ainsley <ch...@dkib.com>.
Hi,

Yes, it does this by default. I downloaded Europa build of WTP 3.3. I didn't
modify any of these settings myself and the author of the blog where I found
this information also had the same experience :

http://www.codecommit.com/blog/eclipse/wtps-crazy-and-undocumented-setting-change
Blog Link (not my blog)

This is a very serious issue when using Eclipse to develop Wicket and I
would recommend a warning in the Wicket documentation for users of Eclipse
and the solution. Like I said, it cost me a *lot* of time recently as I
thought it was my fault as opposed to the IDE.

Regards,

Chris.

Re: Changing IDEs to eclipse

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.