Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/27 05:57:45 UTC

[DISCUSS} Apache NetBeans Gradle Patch 1 Release

Dear all,

As Gradle was a new out-of-the box feature, I've received some
issues/feedback. I've already fixed some of them.

I would like to do a release of those changes. Those fixes might be not
that important, but what I'm really curious, that actually can we, and
how can we roll out such a partial patch release?

My plan is the following:

 1. Branch the current release into something like:
    release110-gradle-patch-1
 2. Cherry Pick the required changes
 3. Increase the patch version (3rd number on the affected modules (I
    guess only gradle and gradle.java)
 4. Set up a jenkins job for that branch to release.
 5. The release artifacts would be
     1. The new nbm modules from gradle and gradle.java
     2. The source artifact would contain those module sources only.
     3. I do not know what to put in there exactly:
         1. The sources of the two modules keeping the directory
            structure. so that would be in groovy/gradle and
            groovy/gradle.java
         2. LICENSE and NOTICE files
         3. Is there a way to generate the DEPENDENCIES file only for
            two modules?
 6. Do the PGP signing with my key
 7. Start a vote on the artifacts
 8. If the vote would be successful:
     1.   I'd upload the source artifact next to our release 11.0 one.
     2. I'd upload the binary nbm-s into the 11.0 distribution UC
     3. I do not know how to updates.xml, probably I keep the one
        generated for the whole NB from step 5 and overwrite the current
        one.
 9. Again I do not know how much announcement we shall make with this
    release, maybe a just our announcement list would be enough.

Please think it through! Is this feasible, what else shall be done, do I
have some misconceptions, etc. ?

Also would like to have a peer feedback from our Release Manager Emilian.

Thank you!

Laszlo Kishalmi

Re: [DISCUSS} Apache NetBeans Gradle Patch 1 Release

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well our branching model for release so far is branch, do cherry picks
from master if needed, do addition ~14 changes required only for
release. It was never palnned to merge back to master. Of course, this
strategy is up to the release manager and the community.

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 4/27/19 1:12 AM, Jan Lahoda wrote:
> Hi Laszlo,
>
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 7:57 AM Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> As Gradle was a new out-of-the box feature, I've received some
>> issues/feedback. I've already fixed some of them.
>>
>> I would like to do a release of those changes. Those fixes might be not
>> that important, but what I'm really curious, that actually can we, and
>> how can we roll out such a partial patch release?
>>
> I think it would be awesome if we could do update releases!
>

>> My plan is the following:
>>
>>   1. Branch the current release into something like:
>>      release110-gradle-patch-1
>>
> I'd suggest to simply continue with the release110 patch. (The last release
> is tagged anyway, so we are not loosing that, and in a longer term, it
> would IMO be easier to simply  continue in the release branch with all the
> changes.)
Well right now release110 branch has already some changes which shall go
into the 11.1 release

(Just a reminder for us, maybe the release branch shall be named to
release12x if we plan to have a 12.1 in December)

Anyway, I'd keep this effort separated from 11.1, though I guess the new
branch would be just merged into the release110 after the Gradle Patch
release happens.

>   2. Cherry Pick the required changes
>>   3. Increase the patch version (3rd number on the affected modules (I
>>      guess only gradle and gradle.java)
>>   4. Set up a jenkins job for that branch to release.
>>   5. The release artifacts would be
>>       1. The new nbm modules from gradle and gradle.java
>>       2. The source artifact would contain those module sources only.
>>       3. I do not know what to put in there exactly:
>>           1. The sources of the two modules keeping the directory
>>              structure. so that would be in groovy/gradle and
>>              groovy/gradle.java
>>           2. LICENSE and NOTICE files
>>           3. Is there a way to generate the DEPENDENCIES file only for
>>              two modules?
>>
> We should be able to generate the correct LICENSE/NOTICE/DEPENDENCIES
> without too much problem. We don't currently have an ant target that would
> allow us to achieve what we want, but we probably should be able to write
> that. One of the tasks would also be that: a) we need to have the README
> adjusted to say how to build and use the update; b) possibly we may want a
> build script to help the user with that.
>
> FWIW, I've tried:
> $ ant -Dclusters.config.update.list=nb.cluster.update
> -Dnb.cluster.update.dir=update
> -Dnb.cluster.update=groovy/gradle,groovy/gradle.java
> -Dcluster.config=update build-source-config
>
> It builds something, but I think we can do much better.
While that could be a way to go, though I'd rather stick with the
current build process and just reduce the output artifacts, but it could
be just me feeling that a bit safer choice.

>>   6. Do the PGP signing with my key
>>   7. Start a vote on the artifacts
>>   8. If the vote would be successful:
>>       1.   I'd upload the source artifact next to our release 11.0 one.
>>       2. I'd upload the binary nbm-s into the 11.0 distribution UC
>>       3. I do not know how to updates.xml, probably I keep the one
>>          generated for the whole NB from step 5 and overwrite the current
>>          one.
>>
> Not sure if we can replace the convenience NBMs and catalog.xml, we may
> need to place the new NBMs and new catalog.xml into a different directory
> and update the redirects so that the existing IDEs see the new catalog.
in theory it would be an svn commit + a 24h wait time while it is being
updated on the mirrors, then we can update it in the netbeans-vm. I'm
almost 100% sure that it could work.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 4/27/19 6:36 AM, Eric Bresie wrote:
> Hope I’m not misunderstanding here, is what is being discussed
>
> There is an applicable ticket (is there one yet for these changes by the way?) associated with the change/defect/enhancement involved

Well, there are a handful of fixes, see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12346269

Maybe 2-3 other one could join. All these specific to the Gradle
integration.

> There a development branch with the changes being developed
The patches are going into the master in form of a PR, then my proposed
workflow would be to  branch off the current release and then cherry
pick from master.

> Targeted item for eventual 11.0.1 sub release (patch)
I would not really name it to 11.0.1 officially.

> Anyone wanting to try can pull from the branch, and
>
> When ready for acceptance then start the process of finalizing the sub release with that (and any additional changes assume an umbrella ticket created and linked to others being targeted ).
>
> Or is what is being discussed something more like what I seem to recall in Linux kernel development practices . They would package the main baseline code and then made available the patches with diffs between revisions so the whole code base didn’t have to be provided until it reached the more formal release candidates. Seem to recall they had “release branch” (which was more production version with limited updates) and “development branch” to support development of new updates and features.
Yes something like this.
> Sounds like there are the sub modules and their versions and the aggregate of the overarching Netbeans release. So is the question at what point does the aggregate version get bumped/released give a collection of sub modules updates?
Well, there shall be a 11.1 in June if we can make that happen.

> Can the “patch” just use the normal plugin update mechanism in some way? I seem to recall that being sort of how Eclipse deals with updates but once again maybe I’m misunderstanding the discussion
That's the plan. Use the update mechanism already built in and has not
really been utilized since we moved to Apache. This would be the first
attempt to do a partial-release and that's why I started this thread to
collect a community insight on this.

Re: Re: [DISCUSS} Apache NetBeans Gradle Patch 1 Release

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Laszlo,

Re: Apache Netbeans 11 - Building from Source

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 25 May 2019, 08:55 Tushar Joshi, <tu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that we have to remove this incubator word from this page.

AFAIK we keep this because we were still in incubation for NB 11.0?!

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Apache Netbeans 11 - Building from Source

Posted by Tushar Joshi <tu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Antonio,

After going through your points, I agree on keeping that page as it is.

with regards
    Tushar

Re: Apache Netbeans 11 - Building from Source

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Tushar,

El 25/5/19 a las 9:55, Tushar Joshi escribió:
> Hi Team,
> [...]
>
>     Unzip incubating-netbeans-11.0-source.zip
>     <https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-11.0/incubating-netbeans-11.0-source.zip>
> in
>     a directory of your liking.
>     2.
>
>     cd to that directory, and then run ant to build the Apache NetBeans IDE.
>     Once built you can run the IDE by typing ./nbbuild/netbeans/bin/netbeans
>
> I believe that we have to remove this incubator word from this page.  Where
> should be the new link point for Apache NetBeans 11 sources?

AFAIK there's no "netbeans-11.0-source.zip" without the "incubator" part
anywhere in the Apache Mirrors.

Anyway Apache 11.0 was released when NetBeans was still in the Apache
Incubator, so I don't see why the "incubator" prefix has to be removed.

I think that the Apache Incubator Project is one of the greatests
achievements of the ASF. A place where people can learn and grow to
become full fledged Apache TLP projects. I'm grateful to the Apache
Incubator Project for having helped us during the last years.

In my mind having "incubator" in NetBeans 11.0 is a Great Thing,
something to be proud of, and not having it in 12.0 is also a great
thing, a signal we're big enough to break things ourselves!

Kind regards,
Antonio

Apache Netbeans 11 - Building from Source

Posted by Tushar Joshi <tu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Team,

On the site at page
https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb110/nb110.html#_building_from_source
the mirror link for downloading the source ZIP refers to incubator

The wording on this page also contains:

Building from source

To build Apache NetBeans (incubating) 11.0 from source you need:

   1.

   Oracle’s Java 8 or Open JDK v8.
   2.

   Apache Ant 1.10 or greater (https://ant.apache.org).

Once you have everything installed then:

   1.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Right now it is the actual whole files that have been changed. In
contrast of git patch it does not support file deletions, but as this is
just a patch there is no whole file deletion in there. I've thought that
reviewing simple files is probably simpler, than reviewing an actual patch.

So the build instructions would be something like:

wget http://mirror.metrocast.net/apache/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-11.0/incubating-netbeans-11.0-source.zip
wget https://builds.apache.org/job/netbeans-gradle-patch-release/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/dist/netbeans-11.0-gradle-patch-1-source.zip
mkdir netbeans -src
unzip incubating-netbeans-11.0-source.zip -d netbeans-src
unzip -o netbeans-11.0-gradle-patch-1-source.zip -d netbeans-src
cd netbeans-src
ant

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Dear all,

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 8:11 AM Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> IMHO If the changed files are inside the main nb repository you should
> release a new version of the whole repository.

To me, it seems wasteful to force the PMC to review >70k files when only a
"handful" actually changed, in a handful of modules, just because they
happen to be physically located in the same repository as many other
modules.

> So it would be a 11.0.1 nb, with at least the zip of the sources of the
> whole repository.
> That fact that users would be able to upgrade the single module is just a
> detail.
>
> For instance in Apache Maven, that is comprised of 100+ independent module,
> we have a release of Maven core and every sub module (maven plugin) is
> released independently.
> But every project has its own repository + sources zip + convenience
> binary.

Note that every NetBeans module is also to some degree independent - with
some work, we can probably generate a source zip for it, and they have a
natural convenience binary format as well.

> I am not suggesting to split NB, I am just saying that you should release
> the whole buildable sources bundle and not only a part.
>
> AFAIK in Apache we are releasing 'source code', and it is important that
> who downloads it is able to build it.

I don't think "being able to build" leads to "must have the complete source
code for all the modules". A pre-requisite for building might be having the
previous full release available, and I don't see a huge issue in that. (If
it was only about a build, we could probably build against just the last
binary, but for tests, we need some of the full sources which contain tests
for other modules.) I think this can be made so that the inconvenience is
limited and acceptable. I'd rather invest some energy into improving the
infrastructure to make the partial build as convenient as possible than
into re-reviewing e.g. PHP support when only Gradle changes.

Jan

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il giorno sab 27 apr 2019 alle ore 09:02 Laszlo Kishalmi
<la...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Well, I'd avoid changing the version number of the IDE and with that
> releasing the complete code-base.

I agree. NB is more that one single module.

> The users would be able to build the patch release by downloading the
> 11.0 sources and overwrite the files released in the patch, it just
> another step in the process and does not make it impossible to build.
>
> AFAIK Apache releases are just a set of source code.

yes, that is was I am trying to say.

Enrico

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi all,

(Regarding the splash screens: I think Laszlo is taking the lead, I just
posted some quick & dirty SVG files as a possible solution).

I agree with Matthias & Laszlo: let's improve the release process even
further before tackling patch releases.

Also let's settle down the repository & jenkins infra changes after the
"-incubator" removal.

Also let's clarify what's in our backlog. Do we want to tackle
plugins.netbeans.org? If so, before release 12? Release 14? When is the
next donation expected?

Cheers,
Antonio

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
To be honest, I do not think that would be needed.

There would be no API/SPI changes in the patches, and yes I'm still
talking about Gradle Support specific patch, as I can manage that easily
on my own. So make a dependency on them would probably not worth the
effort. I'm just trying to keep this as simple as I could.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hello Laszlo.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 4/28/19 7:01 AM, Matthias Bläsing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 28.04.2019, 06:47 -0700 schrieb Laszlo Kishalmi:
>> We need to automate these things first (or talk about, if we could skip
>> some of the steps), then we shall be able to discuss time based releases.
>>
> so we invalidate the decission from the past? Sorry, but I think we
> should discuss it some more.
I do not think that we shall invalidate that we would like to do timely
releases. That's doable, however, as I wrote in my 11.0 release
feedback, with the current structure it requires considerable amount of
human resource from the Release Manager.

IMHO we can do 4 releases per year, with the process/setup we have right
now.

It is nothing wrong with the vision of having time based releases by
simply cutting the master branch at a given point of time. It is just we
need to get there somehow.

> I did not follow the release in detail, but do we have a detailed list
> of steps for a release?

Well the Release Steps are documented here for

  * 11.0: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-2052
  * 10.0: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-1321

>     My feeling is, that at least parts are so
> complicated, just because. Antonio for example is already on the
> problem of generating the splash screen.
Yes Antonio is very kind helping with the splash screen, though I still
need to convince NetBeans either the build process or the bootstrap code
to make a good use of that.

> Many steps will also need to be done for a partitial release, so what
> do we gain from partitial/patch releases?

Well, the number of release steps are much smaller (9, actually 8), as
well as the affected codebase, so it can be rolled out quicker. Maybe a
few hours of work + the VOTING.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 28.04.2019, 06:47 -0700 schrieb Laszlo Kishalmi:

> We need to automate these things first (or talk about, if we could skip
> some of the steps), then we shall be able to discuss time based releases.

so we invalidate the decission from the past? Sorry, but I think we
should discuss it some more.

I did not follow the release in detail, but do we have a detailed list
of steps for a release? My feeling is, that at least parts are so

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Some of this I believe is already leveraged but just restating in current conversation as applicable.

Seem to recall the “temple” Jira ticket with all the steps define for a release previously.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-2052 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-2052?jql=text%20~%20%2211.0%22) is created.

Maybe when a release is initially planned, it needs to be cloned (adding any new sub tasks as changes) and assigned to release manage.

As candidates tickets for inclusion are identified they are linked in the release ticket, marked in the candidate ticket, inclusion of applicable pull requests where applicable.

For patch releases, assume similar clone be created but maybe with a subset of the tasks to reduce work for the full release. What kind of tasks do you think are fully needed in a patch release?

Are there any ways to link a JIRA task with a build requests in some way so that when one or the other is triggered (maybe some state change) it would start a give build to automate some of the tasks? Assume at a minimum some build types may need monitoring to ensure good build quality to an acceptable level. Maybe an extra subtask of “running unit test suite x” with passing at a minimum?

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.