Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Russell Levy <ru...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/21 01:30:08 UTC

overflow of fixed block-container

Hi,
I have a simple document with three block-containers, each with a fixed
position on the page, aligned horizontally (page split into three parts).
When the top block-container overflows, I want the overflow to go to a new
page (with the other two areas of the page blank). Is that possible? I could
post code if that's helpful.

Re: overflow of fixed block-container

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hi Matthias

Difficult to say. It's definitely not easy, especially if you're not yet
familiar with the layout engine. Flow Map introduces the ability to have
multiple flow which all have their own column and page breaks. I think
someone has started flow maps in the past but didn't get far (just some
FO classes I think). You might want to check the archives. Flow Maps
would definitely be a great feature for many. But you'd be in for a
non-trivial project. I wouldn't dare make an effort estimation. But it
would be great if you could jump in here.

On 21.10.2010 18:35:19 MatthiasR wrote:

> Hi Jeremias,
>
> do you think it would be very complicated to implement flow maps? I might
> have clients which are interested in this feature.
>
> Regards,
> Matthias
>

> Jeremias Maerki-2 wrote:
> >
> > Hi Russel,
> >
> > what you're looking for is essentially the flow-map feature of XSL 1.1,
> > I believe. That allows you to define multiple "flow regions" where
> > content can flow from one page to the other. Absolutely/fixed positioned
> > block-containers can't overflow to the next page. Only block-containers
> > with absolute-position="auto" (the default) can do that.
> >
> > The problem: FOP doesn't implement flow-maps, yet.
> >
> > - Flow Map Examples: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#d0e7194
> > - fo:flow-map: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fo_flow-map
> >
> > - fo:block-container: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fo_block-container
> > - absolute-position property:
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#absolute-position
> > - overflow property: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#overflow
> >   (see description of the "repeat" value)
> >
> > On 21.10.2010 01:30:08 Russell Levy wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I have a simple document with three block-containers, each with a fixed
> >> position on the page, aligned horizontally (page split into three parts).
> >> When the top block-container overflows, I want the overflow to go to a
> >> new
> >> page (with the other two areas of the page blank). Is that possible? I
> >> could
> >> post code if that's helpful.
> >

> > Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki

Re: overflow of fixed block-container

Posted by MatthiasR <ma...@gmx.at>.
Hi Jeremias,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hi Russel,

what you're looking for is essentially the flow-map feature of XSL 1.1,
I believe. That allows you to define multiple "flow regions" where
content can flow from one page to the other. Absolutely/fixed positioned
block-containers can't overflow to the next page. Only block-containers
with absolute-position="auto" (the default) can do that.

The problem: FOP doesn't implement flow-maps, yet.

- Flow Map Examples: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#d0e7194
- fo:flow-map: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fo_flow-map

- fo:block-container: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fo_block-container
- absolute-position property: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#absolute-position
- overflow property: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#overflow
  (see description of the "repeat" value)

On 21.10.2010 01:30:08 Russell Levy wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a simple document with three block-containers, each with a fixed
> position on the page, aligned horizontally (page split into three parts).
> When the top block-container overflows, I want the overflow to go to a new
> page (with the other two areas of the page blank). Is that possible? I could
> post code if that's helpful.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: overflow of fixed block-container

Posted by Rob Sargent <rs...@xmission.com>.
Haven't cracked rev 1.0 yet but maybe it the top container was the
entirety of the region body and the same page-master is in effect the
text would show in a similarly place box on the next page. (Nothing will
ever get to the other boxes tho.)