Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2023/05/24 08:28:55 UTC

Timing for June releases

Hi all,

OpenSSL has just announced a security fix release for 30 May.

We won't know what the security issues are until then so my tentative
plan is to tag and release Native 1.2.x and 2.0.x on 31 May, release
Native 1.2.x and 2.0.x relatively quickly, update all Tomcat versions to
use the new Native versions and then start the June releases.

Thoughts?

Mark

Re: Timing for June releases

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 5/30/23 13:14, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> On 5/26/23 13:46, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> Mark,

>>> Sounds good. I can set aside some time on Wednesday morning to roll
>>> 10.1.x and 8.5.x as well.
>>
>> Having read the announcement, I don't think there is a particular rush
>> to get the June release out ASAP.
>>
>> We bundle OpenSSL 1.1.1 with official Tomcat releases and the
>> announcement seems to indicate that 1.1.1 is even less affected than
>> usual.
>
> Tomcat Native 2.x binaries (for Windows) are built with OpenSSL 3.0.x
> Tomcat Native 1.x binaries (for Windows) are built with OpenSSL 1.1.1
>
> It looks like the only risk is if CLIENT-CERT authentication is used and
> even then with the limits OpenSSL has in place the DoS opportunities are
> pretty small.
>
> I'm leaning towards doing a release any way. I should be able to get it
> done later today.

I think I misread your initial email; you were suggesting going a
tcnative release today/tomorrow and then doing the Tomct releases
immediately thereafter. +1 to that plan.

-chris

Re: Timing for June releases

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Timing for June releases

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

Re: Timing for June releases

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

Re: Timing for June releases

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 10:29 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> OpenSSL has just announced a security fix release for 30 May.
>
> We won't know what the security issues are until then so my tentative
> plan is to tag and release Native 1.2.x and 2.0.x on 31 May, release
> Native 1.2.x and 2.0.x relatively quickly, update all Tomcat versions to
> use the new Native versions and then start the June releases.
>
> Thoughts?

+1

Rémy

Re: Timing for June releases

Posted by Han Li <li...@apache.org>.

> On May 24, 2023, at 16:28, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> OpenSSL has just announced a security fix release for 30 May.
>
> We won't know what the security issues are until then so my tentative plan is to tag and release Native 1.2.x and 2.0.x on 31 May, release Native 1.2.x and 2.0.x relatively quickly, update all Tomcat versions to use the new Native versions and then start the June releases.
>
> Thoughts?
+1