Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rob Tanner <rt...@linfield.edu> on 2006/08/05 02:12:27 UTC

Can't start new install of TOMCAT

Hi,

I installed Tomcat 4.1.32 on my new development box, and copied the
4.1.31 server.xml file over from my old development system.  But I can't
get tomcat to start.  The error is: LifecycleException:  Coyote
connector has not been started.  I'm using j2sdk1.4.2_12 is that makes
any difference.  Here is the output from catalina.log:

Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1.32
Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  Context startup failed due to
previous errors
LifecycleException:  Context startup failed due to previous errors
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3700)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1147)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:696)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1147)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:310)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:449)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2212)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:458)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:345)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:129)
        at
        at
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:150)
Stopping service Tomcat-Standalone
Catalina.stop: LifecycleException:  Coyote connector has not been started
LifecycleException:  Coyote connector has not been started
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector.stop(CoyoteConnector.java:1381)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.stop(StandardService.java:498)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(StandardServer.java:2247)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:489)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:345)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:129)
        at
        at
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:150)

I don't remember having this kind of a problem when I initially
installed 4.1.31 and I don't remember doing anything special to get it
up and going.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob

--

Rob Tanner
Linfield College

Re: Can't start new install of TOMCAT

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Rob Tanner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Tomcat 4.1.32 on my new development box, and copied the
> 4.1.31 server.xml file over from my old development system.  But I can't
> get tomcat to start.  The error is: LifecycleException:  Coyote
> connector has not been started.  I'm using j2sdk1.4.2_12 is that makes
> any difference.  Here is the output from catalina.log:

Can you post your connector part of sever.xml?

There were quite a few changes to the connectors between 4.1.31 and
3.1.32. I thought they were all backwards compatible but I might be wrong.

Mark