Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Vasile GABURICI <ga...@ss.pub.ro> on 2000/05/15 19:40:16 UTC

More strane things w/AOLserver

	I have updated my glibc to 2.1.3-15. To no avail.

	I have turned off JIT, and this time I only get type 1 lockups.
That is, the response hangs because neither
JNIConnectionHandler::startReasponse nor JNIConnectionHandler::write gets
called from the Java side. I presume that this is because the JVM is
slower now.

	On the weird side, when I shut down the AOLServer, the page gets
served and the logs register that JNIConnectionHandler::write got called,
but JNIConnectionHandler::startReasponse is never called and the headers
are empty.

	I'm not sure why the page gets served when the AOLServer shuts
down. It might be that the IBM 1.1.8 JVM needs some signals that the
AOLServer blocks, or there are some thread locks that get released...

	This all happens with JIT off. If I let JIT on, the page is never
served and the JVM complains (with libjava_g.so) about:

nsd8x: ../../../../jit/src/i386/runtime/rtx86catch.c:1303:
jit_CompiledCodeSignalHandler: Assertion `sehr_core != ((void *)0)'
failed.

	I don't really know what this means, except that it didn't like
the way signals were handled. Unless I've missed something IBM doesn't
give away their JVM source code...

	Since I brought about the shutdown problem with in-process Tomcat:

	- I know that the 1.1 JVMs don't support graceful termination
	  (destroy).
	- Do the 1.2/1.3 JVMs support this?
	- Are there plans to implement the shutdown() method in
	  JNIEndpoint.java? Revision 1.2 of this file just printed a
          message. There are some threads in Tomcat that are not
          gracefully terminated though...

	All this is with Tomcat 3.1 release. I'll try the latest cvs
snapshot and let you know what happens.

	Bye for now,
	Vasile