Posted to dev@sentry.apache.org by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> on 2013/10/02 21:25:33 UTC

Sentry Requested Patch Format

As was pointed out here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-17?focusedCommentId=13784320&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13784320

the how to contribute wiki asks for patches with --no-prefix. Since we are
using git, why are we asking for this?  Additionally this makes patches
which add files invalid so we should probably remove this request from the
wiki.

Brock

Re: Sentry Requested Patch Format

Posted by Prasad Mujumdar <pr...@cloudera.com>.
+1
I think that makes sense. For projects using Git, its better to use direct
git diff.
If we have consensus, I can update the wiki.

thanks
Prasad

Posted by Shreepadma Venugopalan <sh...@cloudera.com>.
You should have privileges to edit now. Let me know if you want to be a
wiki admin.

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Shreepadma Venugopalan <sh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shreepadma Venugopalan <sh...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Mark Grover <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Agreed.
>
> I have personally always preferred patches generated via git format-patch.
> That way it's easier to attribute the commit to the contributor because
> their name shows in the actual git commit. The committer who committed the
> patch only shows up in the comment which I think is more fair.

Contributor's name is included in the commit message and shows up in the
git commit. Eg:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-sentry/commit/3c232e191ab0f18d00b503febc409da920382acc

Posted by Mark Grover <ma...@apache.org>.
Agreed.