Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Frank B <ub...@hotmail.com> on 2014/01/15 19:10:52 UTC

Rendering issue in image output when setting BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_BINARY

I'm creating a barcode using barcode4j. The barcode is sourrounded by a dashed border. When generating an image using BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_RGB or BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_GRAY, the border is rendered properly. However, when using BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_BINARY, the border is broken. It renders properly for PDF output.

I attached sample code and the generated PNGs. The rendering issue doesn't depend on the image type. The same issue occurs for a TIFF output with TIFFConstants.COMPRESSION_CCITT_T6 and BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_BINARY.

- TYPE_BYTE_BINARY.png: how the broken border looks like.
- TYPE_BYTE_GRAY.png: what it should look like.
- TYPE_INT_RGB_details.png: shows how the dashed border is generated. It uses svg and diagonal bars that clip the border.
- TYPE_BYTE_BINARY_details.png: how the svg is rendered. The diagonal bars are vertical.

I tested with fop versions 1.0 and 1.1.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

cheers,
frank

Re: Rendering issue in image output when setting BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_BINARY

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Frank,

The problem is caused by lack of support for dithering when converting
to B+W output. This is mentioned in the documentation at [1]

Thanks,

Chris

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/output.html#bitmap