Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Matt Massie <ma...@cloudera.com> on 2010/10/15 19:48:54 UTC

Board Report

I wanted to give the community a chance to review the board report I
prepared.  Please let me know if you would like any edits or additions.
 This report covers activity in the project since July.

Thanks for taking the time to review this!
--
Matt

== Issues ==

There are no issues that require the board's

attention at this time.

== Community ==

We added a new committer, Patrick Wendell, to the

project in August.  Patrick contributed a number of

patches focused on adding RPC trace capabilities to

Java.

Mailing list traffic on the developer list since our last

board report has averaged about 10 messages/day.

There were good discussions around the python HTTP/RPC

service, genavro implementation, Pig to Avro translation,

Avro MapReduce APIs, enhanced schema parsing, Java

RPC tracing, .NET Avro implementation, SASL support

and your typical bug reports.

Mailing list traffic on the user mailing list remains

around 1-2 messages a day.  Most questions on this list

pertain to Avro best practices, questions around building

a schema, etc.

== Releases ==

On September 18th, 2010, we released Apache Avro 1.4.0

which included 16 new features, 33 improvements from

15 different authors.  Some of the new features included: a

new PHP implementation Avro, Java RPC tracing, Hadoop

MapReduce support for Avro files, a Netty-based RPC

transceiver and server implementation.

Voting for a 1.4.1 release is currently underway and is likely

to pass.  This release will include the .NET implementation

of Avro that was contributed just after 1.4.0 was shipped.

Re: Board Report

Posted by Matt Massie <ma...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks for catching that Doug.  I'll make sure to drop that from the report.
--
Matt

Re: Board Report

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.