Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by "Althaus, Volker" <v....@cenit.de> on 2016/04/14 14:26:06 UTC

[Karaf 4] Fileinstall polls too early on clean start

Hi,
we are doing an upgrade from Karaf 3.0.4 to 4.0.4 and run into some
problems with bundles in the deploy folder on a clean start.

It seems that fileinstall does not respect the property felix.fileinstall.active.level=80
in org.apache.felix.fileinstall-deploy.cfg and starts at a very early
level when the boot features are not ready yet.

The karaf.log leads to this assumption as the bundles in deploy are logged before the boot
features.
One effect for example is if you have a Spring or Blueprint driven CamelContext in a
bundle in the deploy folder, it would not be shown by the "context-list" command,
although the context and the routes are running properly.

The more serious problem is that we wrote a custom BundleListener
to track these bundles. We load this as a boot feature, so normally it should be there
when the hot deploy folder polls at level 80, but this does not work and our
listener is not called.

Playing around with the poll interval in org.apache.felix.fileinstall-deploy.cfg
and set it to 10 seconds or higher - works.
Lowering the start.level or active.level property does not change anything.
A real hot-deployment of the bundle at runtime also works.

Any ideas how to approach this problem? Or a workaround?

Eventually this is also worth a bug report (Felix or Karaf?) because in
Karaf 2 and 3 this scenario worked without any problems.

TIA & Regards

CENIT AG, Industriestrasse 52-54, 70565 Stuttgart, Tel.: +49 711 7825-30, Fax: +49 711 7825-4000, Internet: www.cenit.com
Geschaeftsstellen: Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hannover, Muenchen, Oelsnitz, Ratingen, Saarbruecken
Vorstandsmitglieder: Kurt Bengel, Matthias Schmidt
Aufsichtsratsmitglieder: Andreas Schmidt (Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats), Hubert Leypoldt, Andreas Karrer
Bankverbindungen:
Deutsche Bank (BLZ 600 700 70) Kto. 1661 040 IBAN : DE85 6007 0070 0166 1040 00 SWIFT-CODE : DEUTDESS,
Commerzbank (BLZ 600 400 71) Kto. 532 015 500 IBAN : DE83 6004 0071 0532 0155 00 SWIFT-Code : COBADEFF600,
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Handelsregister: HRB Nr. 19117
Umsatzsteuer: ID-Nr. DE 147 862 777

Re: AW: [Karaf 4] Fileinstall polls too early on clean start

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Awesome, thanks (I saw the Jira) !

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

AW: [Karaf 4] Fileinstall polls too early on clean start

Posted by "Althaus, Volker" <v....@cenit.de>.
Hi,

Re: [Karaf 4] Fileinstall polls too early on clean start

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

it sounds like a bug. The fileinstall has been updated between 3.0.4 and
4.0.4, so it could be a bug in fileinstall or a mix of fileinstall and
karaf.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

see comments inline:

> we are doing an upgrade from Karaf 3.0.4 to 4.0.4 and run into some
>
> problems with bundles in the deploy folder on a clean start.
>

> It seems that fileinstall does not respect the property
> felix.fileinstall.active.level=80
>
> in org.apache.felix.fileinstall-deploy.cfg and starts at a very early
>
> level when the boot features are not ready yet.

might be worth a bug issue ... oth. don't rely on fileinstall on
production, especially if you deploy multiple bundles which might depend on
each other.

> The karaf.log leads to this assumption as the bundles in deploy are logged
> before the boot
>
> features.
>
> One effect for example is if you have a Spring or Blueprint driven
> CamelContext in a
>
> bundle in the deploy folder, it would not be shown by the “context-list”
> command,
>
> although the context and the routes are running properly.
>

> The more serious problem is that we wrote a custom BundleListener
>
> to track these bundles. We load this as a boot feature, so normally it
> should be there
>
> when the hot deploy folder polls at level 80, but this does not work and
> our
>
> listener is not called.
>

> Playing around with the poll interval in
> org.apache.felix.fileinstall-deploy.cfg
>
> and set it to 10 seconds or higher - works.
>
> Lowering the start.level or active.level property does not change anything.
>
> A real hot-deployment of the bundle at runtime also works.
>

> Any ideas how to approach this problem? Or a workaround?

install your bundles either via shell or have a "custom" bundle which
installs those bundles at runtime.

> Eventually this is also worth a bug report (Felix or Karaf?) because in
>
> Karaf 2 and 3 this scenario worked without any problems.

Felix-Fileinstall bugreports go to felix.

> TIA & Regards
>

> CENIT AG, Industriestrasse 52-54, 70565 Stuttgart, Tel.: +49 711 7825-30,
> Fax: +49 711 7825-4000, Internet: www.cenit.com
> Geschaeftsstellen: Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hannover, Muenchen,
> Oelsnitz, Ratingen, Saarbruecken
> Vorstandsmitglieder: Kurt Bengel, Matthias Schmidt
> Aufsichtsratsmitglieder: Andreas Schmidt (Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats),
> Hubert Leypoldt, Andreas Karrer
> Bankverbindungen:
> Deutsche Bank (BLZ 600 700 70) Kto. 1661 040 IBAN : DE85 6007 0070 0166
> 1040 00 SWIFT-CODE : DEUTDESS,
> Commerzbank (BLZ 600 400 71) Kto. 532 015 500 IBAN : DE83 6004 0071 0532
> 0155 00 SWIFT-Code : COBADEFF600,
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart
> Handelsregister: HRB Nr. 19117
> Umsatzsteuer: ID-Nr. DE 147 862 777