Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/26 00:21:29 UTC

Help needed with /main/connectivity/source/resource/conn_shared_res.src

For a few days now I have tried adding 2 new definitions to
conn_shared_res.src a la the patches that were supplied in hsqldb CWS from
a while back. I also applied the rest of the patches locally, so far
without issue.

No matter what I do, my build fails with the following types of error
messages--

{
^
f4099: "conn_shared_res.src", line 642: Warning in the object (Type:
String):
Global resources should have an identifier >= 256.

{
^
f650: "conn_shared_res.src", line 642: Error in the object (Type: String):
An identifier needs to be specified.

{
^
f640: "conn_shared_res.src", line 642: Error: syntax error
f256: Error: !! 2 Error found!!
Error starting rsc2 compiler

--- end of errors ---

So, is there some secret to the syntax for this file that I'm just not
getting.

Should my new string definitions be added elsewhere as well? And if so,
where.

I can provide more info if needed.

MzK

"There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain."
                        -- Captain Roy Montgomery, "Castle"

Re: Help needed with /main/connectivity/source/resource/conn_shared_res.src

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile <arielch@apache.org
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 03:21:29PM -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> > For a few days now I have tried adding 2 new definitions to
>> > conn_shared_res.src a la the patches that were supplied in hsqldb CWS
>> from
>> > a while back. I also applied the rest of the patches locally, so far
>> > without issue.
>> >
>> > No matter what I do, my build fails with the following types of error
>> > messages--
>> >
>> > {
>> > ^
>> > f4099: "conn_shared_res.src", line 642: Warning in the object (Type:
>> > String):
>> > Global resources should have an identifier >= 256.
>> >
>> > {
>> > ^
>> > f650: "conn_shared_res.src", line 642: Error in the object (Type:
>> String):
>> > An identifier needs to be specified.
>>
>> Wild guessing you are using an identifier without defining it; example:
>>
>> String SOME_ID
>> {
>>     Text [en-US] = "Some text for this string" ;
>> };
>>
>> SOME_ID is usually defined in another file (.hrc), not in the resource
>> file (.src).
>>
>> > So, is there some secret to the syntax for this file that I'm just not
>> > getting.
>> >
>> > Should my new string definitions be added elsewhere as well? And if so,
>> > where.
>> >
>> > I can provide more info if needed.
>>
>> Please provide your modifications to that file in the form of a patch (use
>> svn diff).
>>
>> Wild guessing, you might be using identifiers without defining them.
>>

>> Regards
>> --
>> Ariel Constenla-Haile
>> La Plata, Argentina
>>

> What I did was apply patches so I am not using an identifier that is not
> defined. I took my additions out yesterday knowing that the strings I took
> out would probably make the build fail because they were used elsewhere AND
> I had deleted their definitions -- and sure enough -- the build failed with
> that kind of error. And it told me which strings were not defined.
>
> At any rate, I will submit a patch. Maybe someone else will have better
> luck at figuring out how adding two string definitions could rattle things
> so much. Anyway, thanks.

> MzK
>
> "There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain."
>                         -- Captain Roy Montgomery, "Castle"

OK, my little patch is attached. If you're wondering why some of the lines
look the *same* except for definition spacing, it is because I changed some
spaces to tabs thinking maybe that was the problem -- it wasn't. If you use
this and patch the original file -- the subject of this message -- and get
a build without errors, this should be the case since adding new string
definitions should NOT change anything, I will need to run out into the
street screaming! (What is WRONG with my setup?)

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.