Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/04/06 19:58:43 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-avalon/src/java/org/apache/avalon/component DefaultRoleManager.java RoleManager.java DefaultRoleInfo.java RoleInfo.java

Giacomo Pati wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 01:58:09PM -0000, bloritsch@apache.org wrote:
> > bloritsch    01/04/06 06:58:09
> >
> >   Added:       src/java/org/apache/avalon/component DefaultRoleManager.java
> >                         RoleManager.java
> >   Removed:     src/java/org/apache/avalon/component DefaultRoleInfo.java
> >                         RoleInfo.java
>
> Just another quick question we have seen today.
>
> Why is the Configurable interface in the configuration sub package
> while all other (e.g. Composer) are in the main avalon package?

When Avalon 4.0 is released (Avalon Beta), all the interfaces will be
neatly componentized and in proper sub packages.  So your Composer,
Component, ComponentManager, et. al. will be in the **.component package.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 03:50  7/04/01 +0200, Giacomo Pati wrote:
>Doea this mean that:
>
>Loggable will be in Logkit (and AbstractLoggable as well)?

As loggable is intimately linked to Avalon lifecycle and AbstractLoggable
references Component it will most likely be in org.apache.???.logger.*;

>Contextualizable be in a new context sub package?

yep

>Poolable in the util.pool sub package?

yep

>Where do you guys put Stoppable, Startable, Initializable etc. then?

At the moment it is lifecycle.* but not sure where it will end up (anyone
got a better name?).

>This is what I've like from the structure before. Every interface was in
>the avalon root package. Unfortunately only a few default
>implementations were in sub package where they belong to.
agreed - I wanted to do it since I joined up ;)

Cheers,

Pete

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 01:58:09PM -0000, bloritsch@apache.org wrote:
> > > bloritsch    01/04/06 06:58:09
> > >
> > >   Added:       src/java/org/apache/avalon/component DefaultRoleManager.java
> > >                         RoleManager.java
> > >   Removed:     src/java/org/apache/avalon/component DefaultRoleInfo.java
> > >                         RoleInfo.java
> >
> > Just another quick question we have seen today.
> >
> > Why is the Configurable interface in the configuration sub package
> > while all other (e.g. Composer) are in the main avalon package?
>
> When Avalon 4.0 is released (Avalon Beta), all the interfaces will be
> neatly componentized and in proper sub packages.  So your Composer,
> Component, ComponentManager, et. al. will be in the **.component package.

Doea this mean that:

Loggable will be in Logkit (and AbstractLoggable as well)?
Contextualizable be in a new context sub package?
Poolable in the util.pool sub package?
Where do you guys put Stoppable, Startable, Initializable etc. then?

This is what I've like from the structure before. Every interface was in
the avalon root package. Unfortunately only a few default
implementations were in sub package where they belong to.

Giacomo

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> > Giacomo Pati wrote:

> > > Just another quick question we have seen today.
> > >
> > > Why is the Configurable interface in the configuration sub package
> > > while all other (e.g. Composer) are in the main avalon package?
> >
> > When Avalon 4.0 is released (Avalon Beta), all the interfaces will be
> > neatly componentized and in proper sub packages.  So your Composer,
> > Component, ComponentManager, et. al. will be in the **.component package.
>
> Ok, Thanks Berin for your clarification. So there will be more work then
> in C2 :)

Yep.  Peter did promise a script to help Cocoon/Avalon users to migrate their
existing code to the new heirarchy--so it won't be too bad.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.