Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@bitforce.com> on 2004/07/21 21:43:35 UTC

Re[3]: character encoding

> Then I'm out of luck. That's the biggest problem with Strut's lack of
> support for the accept-charset attribute. *Most of the time* it works
> that if you send the response in UTF-8 the next request will come in
> as UTF-8 too. That's what I'm doing now - I send out only UTF-8 forms
> and assume that I get the same back. It's an ugly hack, but the only
> way that seems to work at the moment.

> I asked a few weeks ago if there was any way for me to extend the form
> tag to support this attribute, or whether there is any good reason why
> it is not implemented. So far I haven't received an answer.

PS: While searching for a solution I found that the HTTP spec actually
provides the browsers with a way to *specify* the encoding they're
sending, which would completely solve this issue. It appears that the
only browser that supported it *was* Mozilla. They found out that this
extended (but conforming to the spec!) Content-Type header made so
many broken CGI-scripts puke that they removed this feature again.
*sigh*

Carl-Eric
--
Antwort: Weil es das Lesen des Textes erschwert.   | Carl-Eric Menzel
Frage  : Warum ist das so schlimm?                 | PGP ID: 808F4A8E