Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ma...@yahoo.com on 2003/06/17 00:46:05 UTC

tomact shutdown issue

tomcat 4.1.24
redhat 7.3
apache 1.3.20
jdk j2sdk1.4.1_02

tomcat is installed and is runnable

when I try to close down using either the shutdown or
the redhat shutdown script I get the error given
below, now I have spent time searching and looking int
he archive and see this is produced when tomcat is not
running and is shutdown already, however this is not
true in my case, if I do a ps auwx, I am still showing
it running. The amazing thing is that sometimes it
does shutdown, but it takes a few tries. ODD

Please help

PS I am a tomcat newbie so if you need any listings of
files please let me know

Thanks

shutdown error
--------------
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02
Catalina.stop: java.net.ConnectException: Connection
refused
        at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
        at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
        at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
        at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Unknown
Source)
        at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
        at
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Unknown
Source)

Re: Tomcat not loading JSP, anyone know solution?

Posted by Justin Ruthenbeck <ju...@nextengine.com>.
(0) Tomcat 1.4.1, huh?  I hope that's a typo.  ;)

(1) Try hitting Tomcat directly when you're having problems with the
jsp's.  This should tell you for sure whether it's mod_jk or Tomcat.

(2) I'm assuming you're *not* precompiling your jsps.  Environment
permitting, here's another reason why precompiling is a great idea.

(2a) Make all of your contexts non-reloadable unless you *need* them to be
otherwise.

(3) Once you decide whether it's mod_jk or Tomcat, pump the logs up and see
what's happening.  Also, compare the host_access*.log files to your Apache
logs to track your requests through the process.  See who's getting them
and who's (not) responding.

justin

At 06:43 PM 6/16/2003, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I was hoping someone could shed some light on some trouble I've been having.
>Sometimes the website doesn't respond to jsp requests, but loading html
>files is okay.  Apache (1.3.27) and tomcat (1.4.1) on Red Hat 9 will both be
>running and be working for awhile, but then jsp fails to load (no response
>from server on .jsp requests.  .html loads fine).  Just as mysteriously, it
>will start working again (without restarting anything).  I've been trying to
>track down this problem for awhile.  I think it's a mod_jk problem, but I'm
>not certain.  What do you think it could be?
>
>Any input at all would be much appreciated, thank you for your time,
>
>Best regards,
>
>Wayne Chang
>Pacific Northwest Software
>Mobile:     (978) 869-3446
>Email:       wchang@pnwsoft.com

____________________________________
Justin Ruthenbeck
Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.
justinr - AT - nextengine DOT com
Confidential
    See http://www.nextengine.com/confidentiality.php

Tomcat not loading JSP, anyone know solution?

Posted by Wayne Chang <wc...@pnwsoft.com>.
Hi,

I was hoping someone could shed some light on some trouble I've been having.
Sometimes the website doesn't respond to jsp requests, but loading html
files is okay.  Apache (1.3.27) and tomcat (1.4.1) on Red Hat 9 will both be
running and be working for awhile, but then jsp fails to load (no response
from server on .jsp requests.  .html loads fine).  Just as mysteriously, it
will start working again (without restarting anything).  I've been trying to
track down this problem for awhile.  I think it's a mod_jk problem, but I'm
not certain.  What do you think it could be?

Any input at all would be much appreciated, thank you for your time,

Best regards,

Wayne Chang
Pacific Northwest Software
Mobile:     (978) 869-3446
Email:       wchang@pnwsoft.com

Re: tomact shutdown issue

Posted by ma...@yahoo.com.
kill -s 9 did it!!!

so that it solved, now I will be very careful

thanks, I will let you know if this an issue again

--- madhombre@yahoo.com wrote:
> [...]
> > > Source)

> > > SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month!
> > > http://sbc.yahoo.com

> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> > >

> > =====
> > Yoav Shapira
> > yoavs@computer.org

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

Re: tomact shutdown issue

Posted by ma...@yahoo.com.
I have like 50 of these in my ps awux

root      2553  1.4 21.7 229700 31056 pts/0  S
18:13   1:45 /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02/bin/java
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/var/tomcat4/common/endors

it is cut off at the end.

I was able to stop half of them
I think it maybe that I tried to kill it BEFORE it
finished starting, I notice it takes a while to get

BUT how do I kill these when it doesn;t even work if I

Re: tomact shutdown issue

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@yahoo.com>.
Howdy,

--- madhombre@yahoo.com wrote:
> tomcat 4.1.24
> redhat 7.3
> apache 1.3.20
> jdk j2sdk1.4.1_02
>
> tomcat is installed and is runnable
>
> when I try to close down using either the shutdown or
> the redhat shutdown script I get the error given
> below, now I have spent time searching and looking int
> he archive and see this is produced when tomcat is not
> running and is shutdown already, however this is not
> true in my case, if I do a ps auwx, I am still showing
> it running. The amazing thing is that sometimes it
> does shutdown, but it takes a few tries. ODD
>
> Please help
>
> PS I am a tomcat newbie so if you need any listings of
> files please let me know
>
> Thanks
>

> shutdown error
> --------------
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /var/tomcat4
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /var/tomcat4
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp
> Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02
> Catalina.stop: java.net.ConnectException: Connection
> refused
>         at
> java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
>         at
> java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
>         at
> java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
>         at
> java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
>         at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:426)
>         at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:376)
>         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:291)
>         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:119)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Unknown
> Source)
>         at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
>         at
>         at

>         at
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Unknown
> Source)

=====
Yoav Shapira
yoavs@computer.org