Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2009/04/18 16:41:05 UTC

About OFBiz logo being ownership of ASF

HI All,

This is an *important message* to remind you that if you make available to public a "mirror" of Apache OFBiz web site (http://ofbiz.apache.org/) or an instance of Apache OFBiz,  you should never use the original ofbiz.ico, ofbiz.gif and ofbiz_logo.jpg files (any version of these files, old or present). These are strict ASF proprietary and should never be used by site publicly available ouf of proper ASF infrastructure (the Contegix servers used by Apache OFBiz for that are parts of ASF infra).

PMC members, I put a message at bottom of site main page, please check and if any problems chime in.

Thanks for your attention

Jacques

Re: About OFBiz logo being ownership of ASF

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I reverted at Tim's demand (at r766342). Hopefully someone will come with a better way of showing this

The text I propose is

<<This is an important message to remind you that if you make available to public a "mirror" of Apache OFBiz web site

(http://ofbiz.apache.org/) or an instance of Apache OFBiz, you should never use the original ofbiz.ico, ofbiz.gif and

ofbiz_logo.jpg files (any version of these files, old or present). These are strict ASF proprietary and should never be

used by site publicly available ouf of proper ASF infrastructure (the Contegix servers used by Apache OFBiz for that are

parts of ASF infra).<br>

You must also show a prominent disclaimer that states the site is not associated with the Apache Software Foundation.<br>

Thanks for your attention>>

Maybe some English speaking people (mother tongue) may come with a better message also...

Jacques

PS : I think it's our duty to do this to prevent any future conflicts about this subject...

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi David,

From: "David E Jones" <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>

> Jacques,
>
> While I appreciate your concern the proper place to discuss things of  a sensitive nature like this is on the PMC mailing list,
> and NOT out  in public like this... especially on both the dev and user mailing  lists at the same time (making a conversation
> even more cumbersome),  and also not putting something like you did on the home page.

Note that my initial intention was to make this clear before people ingenuously do the same things with the new product's logo and
"Apache OFBiz" mark as they did before...

>If you  look around I'm sure you'll notice that no other project has anything  like that around.

Yes, that's right, maybe because it's not yet official ? Or because it's so obvious (marks belong to ASF, bla bla...) than nobody
knows it clearly, and use ASF's mark and product logos without it's clear permission (product being OFBiz here)  ;o)

> This may need further discussion (on the private mailing list only  please), but IMO your interpretation is incorrect of what Ted
> Husted  wrote and what the Apache license says.

I'm ready to read what differ in your interpretation of Ted's message which was not official but, as he (approximately) said, a
sumary of discussions so far about this subjet on PRC. He said also that there are no official documents about this subject yet...
I can't see what's wrong in my interpretation but I'm ready to discuss on it privately. An I agree that this needs to be clarified
before being exposed on Apache OFBIz user and dev MLs.

> As an example of why a more public forum is not the place to discuss  this, note that Tim also misunderstood what you wrote and it
> exploded  into an unfortunate, distracting, and off-putting discussion.

If I misunderstood and try to explain, it's logical that Tim misunderstand. Without discussions you can get things go further. IMO
we can't hide this any longer. This was not clear to any of us before Ted's message, and even after it seems not to be clear.
Also I can't see why we should not expose Ted's message to everybody, except, of course, because it's not a PRC's official message.

> To those reading in: please don't worry about this for now. If you  need more information on the topic, look at what is written in
> official places on the apache.org site.

I will add : and good luck.

But anyway, I agree with you. This far to be so important, just a little thing to be clarified. Making noise should help people to
be aware, this was also one of my intention. Seems that  succeed at least on this aspect ;o)

Jacques

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Jacques,

While I appreciate your concern the proper place to discuss things of
a sensitive nature like this is on the PMC mailing list, and NOT out
in public like this... especially on both the dev and user mailing
lists at the same time (making a conversation even more cumbersome),
and also not putting something like you did on the home page. If you

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Bj,

Please see my new more elaborated explanation on the dev ML.

To resume : out of ASF material infrastructure you can't use an OFBiz logo (old or new, we have already an history of 3 logos, 2
being ASF's fo sure), you must provide a disclaimer (as the one here http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Alternative+Demo+Servers)
and you may use a "Powered by OFBiz" logo if you want.

Thanks

Jacques

From: "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>

From: "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>