Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jean-Guillaume LALANNE <je...@coming.fr> on 2001/02/14 12:26:43 UTC

The usual question : what about Schema Validation ???

Hi,

I am sorry to ask you this recurrent question again ... but I haven't found any answers in the mailing-list archive
that totally please me.

I am currently using Xerces_1.2.3, and I'd like to validate my small schemas (W3C spec : *.xsd) against the "master schema",
http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema.xsd ...

Here is my example schema to be validated :

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<schema targetNamespace="." xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema.xsd" xmlns:cpl=".">

 <!-- ROOT ELEMENT -->
 <element name="dataview" type="cpl:dataview-type"/>

 <!-- COMPLEX TYPE -->
 <complexType name="dataview-type">
  <element name="list-param" type="cpl:list-param-type" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1"/>
  <attribute name="dav-ref-name" type="string"/>
  <attribute name="dav-class" type="string"/>
  <attribute name="dav-scope">
   <simpleType base="string">
    <enumeration value="APPLICATION"/>
    <enumeration value="SESSION"/>
   </simpleType>
  </attribute>
 </complexType>
 <complexType name="list-param-type">
  <element name="param" type="string" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
 </complexType>

</schema>

I am not sure that my schema is valid. That's why I am wondering whether I can validate it fully (and partially ???) with the xerces apache xml parser and xml validator or NOT ?!?!?!?
Reading the mailing list archive I have never completely understood whether the schema validation was implemented by apache or not.
Is it fully implemented ?
What is working stablely ? And what is not ???
Do you advise me to use the xerces schema validation (and the xml validation against schema *.xsd) in production ? Or do you consider that I should wait for more stable version ?

The last question : which XML IDE do you advise me for my co-developper buddies : XML Authority or XML Spy ???

I thank you very much for your future answers.

Best Regards
Jean-Guillaume LALANNE
software developper
COMING SA