Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Julien Poffet <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/09 15:21:30 UTC

Versionning

Hi all,

Suppose that the versioning is activate with the property "mix:versionable"
and Jackrabbit runs with a BundlePersistence manager and a filesystem
datastore config.

- How Jackrabbit will react if I modify manually the content of a file
directly in the datastore. A new version of this file will be created? The
file will become corrupted?

- What appends if I push a file, with the name of a file which does already
exist, directly over the WebDav in Jackrabbit? In this case, a new version
will be created? The content will simply be overridden?

The point is that I want to know if Jackrabbit can be used like a kind of
archival tool with the principal requirement that a file stored in
Jackrabbit cant be override by another...

Thanks,
Julien

Re: Versionning

Posted by Thomas Müller <th...@day.com>.
Hi,

> Thanks but I already tried this scenario. I modify the content of a file
> directly in the datastore. Then I opened the file with the webdav and it
> came up nicely with the modification. Am I lucky or it is normal?

I will remember your name, and if you ask again because your
repository is corrupt, I will not help you :-)

I don't think you understand how the data store works. I suggest you
read the documentation, and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immutable_object
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-addressable_storage

Regards,
Thomas

Re: Versionning

Posted by Guo Du <mr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Julien Poffet <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks but I already tried this scenario. I modify the content of a file
> directly in the datastore. Then I opened the file with the webdav and it
> came up nicely with the modification. Am I lucky or it is normal?

Lucky and expected. It may not always works and you are on your own :)

-Guo

Re: Versionning

Posted by Julien Poffet <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks but I already tried this scenario. I modify the content of a file
directly in the datastore. Then I opened the file with the webdav and it
came up nicely with the modification. Am I lucky or it is normal?

BR,
Julien

Re: Versionning

Posted by Thomas Müller <th...@day.com>.
Hi,

Re: Versionning

Posted by Guo Du <mr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Julien Poffet <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> - How Jackrabbit will react if I modify manually the content of a file
> directly in the datastore. A new version of this file will be created? The
> file will become corrupted?
There are some cache for bundle persistence manager, so you manually
edit the file in db may not be notice for short period. And it could
be loaded if cache expired when access. But manually edit the bundle
data have high risk to corrupt your repository. It's last thing you
want to try.

-Guo