Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Ou Changkun <ou...@outlook.com> on 2018/09/19 14:16:24 UTC

"Error handling message from VNC server" in Debian based builds

Hey guys,

I installed guacamole from source code on a Debian stretch based container. The browser display automatically froze after operates a little bit when I use VNC protocol. The cause is different from GUACAMOLE-620: guacd[9]: ERROR:        Error handling message from VNC server.

This behavior can be reproduced by the following steps:

1. Build docker image, say guacd-master, from guacamole-server master 332e187813595fc2e769f3e29c0582b7ec726ea1.
2. Use consol/ubuntu-xfce-vnc:1.3.0 create a container as VNC server.
3. Connect to the VNC container.
4. When display appears, open a file manager, drag the window and move very fast. After few seconds, the display froze and connection is observed as an exit status.

I checked the source code of VNC protocol on guacamole-server side. It seems because of `HandleRFBServerMessage` failed without any useful context information, since libvncserver-dev is installed via apt-get, it seems hard to debug on the VNC side.

What could be wrong here? Is there any conflict between the VNC server and guacamole VNC protocol plugin? How to properly solve this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Changkun

Complete outputs:
===============
guacd[7]: INFO: Guacamole proxy daemon (guacd) version 1.0.0 started
guacd[7]: DEBUG:        Successfully bound socket to host 0.0.0.0, port 4822
guacd[7]: INFO: Listening on host 0.0.0.0, port 4822
guacd[7]: INFO: Creating new client for protocol "vnc"
guacd[7]: INFO: Connection ID is "$3fdc295a-d82f-4f81-97fc-a483b591944e"
guacd[9]: INFO: Cursor rendering: local
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "swap-red-blue" omitted. Using default value of 0.
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "read-only" omitted. Using default value of 0.
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "color-depth" omitted. Using default value of 0.
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "dest-port" omitted. Using default value of 0.
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "encodings" omitted. Using default value of "zrle ultra copyrect hextile zlib corre rre raw".
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "autoretry" omitted. Using default value of 0.
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "reverse-connect" omitted. Using default value of 0.
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "listen-timeout" omitted. Using default value of 5000.
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "enable-audio" omitted. Using default value of 0.
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "enable-sftp" omitted. Using default value of 0.
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "sftp-hostname" omitted. Using default value of "172.16.250.11".
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "sftp-host-key" omitted. Using default value of "22".
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "sftp-port" omitted. Using default value of "".
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "sftp-password" omitted. Using default value of "".
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "sftp-passphrase" omitted. Using default value of "".
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "sftp-root-directory" omitted. Using default value of "/".
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "sftp-server-alive-interval" omitted. Using default value of 0.
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "recording-name" omitted. Using default value of "recording".
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "recording-exclude-output" omitted. Using default value of 0.
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "recording-exclude-mouse" omitted. Using default value of 0.
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "recording-include-keys" omitted. Using default value of 0.
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Parameter "create-recording-path" omitted. Using default value of 0.
guacd[9]: INFO: User "@c38445a9-288e-4ec2-b09b-64ec1b0d337c" joined connection "$3fdc295a-d82f-4f81-97fc-a483b591944e" (1 users now present)
guacd[9]: ERROR:        Error handling message from VNC server.
guacd[9]: INFO: Internal VNC client disconnected
guacd[9]: INFO: User "@c38445a9-288e-4ec2-b09b-64ec1b0d337c" disconnected (0 users remain)
guacd[9]: INFO: Last user of connection "$3fdc295a-d82f-4f81-97fc-a483b591944e" disconnected
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Requesting termination of client...
guacd[9]: DEBUG:        Client terminated successfully.
guacd[7]: INFO: Connection "$3fdc295a-d82f-4f81-97fc-a483b591944e" removed.

Re: "Error handling message from VNC server" in Debian based builds

Posted by Ou Changkun <ou...@outlook.com>.
I am not 100% sure it is GUACAMOLE-414. However, what I can observed in the VNC server is attached in below. The log (tigerVNC) pretty much similar to what GUACAMOLE-414 reported:

Connections: closed: 172.16.250.10::51164 (readTLS: (unknown error code)(1100))

I will digging more infos.

==========================

Fri Sep 21 15:10:51 2018
 VNCSConnST:  Server default pixel format depth 24 (32bpp) little-endian rgb888
 VNCSConnST:  Client pixel format depth 24 (32bpp) little-endian rgb888

Fri Sep 21 15:10:55 2018
 Connections: closed: 172.16.250.10::51164 (readTLS: (unknown error code)
              (1100))
 EncodeManager: Framebuffer updates: 123
 EncodeManager:   RRE:
 EncodeManager:     Solid: 113 rects, 1.77475 Mpixels
 EncodeManager:            2.20703 KiB (1:3141.75 ratio)
 EncodeManager:   ZRLE:
 EncodeManager:     Bitmap RLE: 6 rects, 290 pixels
 EncodeManager:                 178 B (1:6.92135 ratio)
 EncodeManager:     Indexed RLE: 465 rects, 9.15282 Mpixels
 EncodeManager:                  65.917 KiB (1:542.48 ratio)
 EncodeManager:     Full Colour: 338 rects, 9.38646 Mpixels
 EncodeManager:                  2.01581 MiB (1:17.7648 ratio)
 EncodeManager:   Total: 922 rects, 20.3143 Mpixels
 EncodeManager:          2.08251 MiB (1:37.2164 ratio)
 TLS:         TLS session wasn't terminated gracefully
 ComparingUpdateTracker: 47.898 Mpixels in / 20.9308 Mpixels out
 ComparingUpdateTracker: (1:2.28839 ratio)

On Sep 20, 2018, at 20:41, Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>> wrote:

If you are encountering GUACAMOLE-414, and feel like tinkering in the source, I suspect things might have to do with some versions of OpenSSL needing process-wide initialization of thread safety, similar to what is done in the SSH client.

Worth checking whether making that change solves things.

- Mike

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018, 11:16 Ou Changkun <ou...@outlook.com>> wrote:
Close this question, issue was reported to dev channel: https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/GUACAMOLE/issues/GUACAMOLEf-414<https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/GUACAMOLE/issues/GUACAMOLE-414>

On Sep 20, 2018, at 01:57, Ou Changkun <ou...@outlook.com>> wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your response. However that doesn’t help too much. I know where to find a typical log file, VNC logs are missing in /var/log. That’s the reason I post question for help.

Could you maybe try the provided only three reproduce steps yourself to see what is going on?

Best,
Changkun

On Sep 19, 2018, at 23:41, McRoy, Jeffrey (GE Healthcare) <Je...@ge.com>> wrote:

Sounds like you setup an Ubuntu container to run the VNC server in. So, in Linux the log files typically go in the directory /var/log. You could look there. Try this to look for files with vnc entries: grep vnc /var/log/* -R | less

You could also try tailing the messages log file in Ubuntu while you try to connect to the vnc server: tail -f /var/log/messages.log

It might help to see what the vnc server is logging when you try to connect with the client.

Regards,
-Jeff

From: Ou Changkun <ou...@outlook.com>>
Date: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 2:44 PM
To: "user@guacamole.apache.org<ma...@guacamole.apache.org>" <us...@guacamole.apache.org>>
Subject: EXT: Re: "Error handling message from VNC server" in Debian based builds

Hi Jeffrey,

Could you maybe tell where is the location of VNC log files and what exactly you want for log?

Here is all I get from `docker log` command:

USER_ID: 1000, GROUP_ID: 0
nss_wrapper location: /usr/lib/libnss_wrapper.so

------------------ update chromium-browser.init ------------------

... set window size 1280 x 1024 as chrome window size!

------------------ change VNC password  ------------------

------------------ start noVNC  ----------------------------

------------------ start VNC server ------------------------
remove old vnc locks to be a reattachable container
start vncserver with param: VNC_COL_DEPTH=24, VNC_RESOLUTION=1280x1024
start window manager

------------------ VNC environment started ------------------

VNCSERVER started on DISPLAY= :1
        => connect via VNC viewer with 172.16.250.11:5901<http://172.16.250.11:5901/>

On Sep 19, 2018, at 20:52, McRoy, Jeffrey (GE Healthcare) <Je...@ge.com>> wrote:

Hi Changkun,

Could you attach the log from the VNC server?

Re: "Error handling message from VNC server" in Debian based builds

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by "McRoy, Jeffrey (GE Healthcare)" <Je...@ge.com>.
Hi Changkun,