Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Curt Galloway <cu...@interes.com> on 2004/11/17 12:05:41 UTC

multiple svn:externals property for the same directory

Hello list,

I have, what I believe is an RTFM problem - try as I may however, I
can't find
what I'm looking for.

The problem:

We have several projects in one repository like so:

/
lib
 http-libs
 ftp-libs
 ssh-libs
proj1
 lib
proj2
 lib

What we'd like to do is to keep our libraries in *one* place (under the
'lib' project above)
and 'llink' (or whatever) the lib directory under the different projects
to one *or more*
subdirectories of the 'lib' project. An example:

Say, using the above setup, proj1 requires http-libs, but not the
ftp-libs, nor the ssh-libs and
also say that proj2 requires the ftp-libs and the ssh-libs but not the
http-libs.

Ok - so far so good. On proj1 I can set the svn:externals property to
"lib [url of http-libs]".
What I *can't* do is for proj2, set the svn:externals property to
something like:
lib [url of ftp-libs]
lib [url of ssh-libs]

Well, I *can* set it so - but it doesn't do what I'd like. In the above
case, the url of ftp-libs is
used and ssh-libs is completely ignored.

Of course, it could be that I'm going about this all wrong. Any pointers
would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Curt Galloway

Curt Galloway <curt@interes.com <ma...@interes.com>>

Re: multiple svn:externals property for the same directory

Posted by Mike Mason <mg...@thoughtworks.net>.
Curt Galloway wrote:

> Ok - so far so good. On proj1 I can set the svn:externals property to
> "lib [url of http-libs]".
> What I *can't* do is for proj2, set the svn:externals property to
> something like:
> lib [url of ftp-libs]
> lib [url of ssh-libs]
>
> Well, I *can* set it so - but it doesn't do what I'd like. In the
> above case, the url of ftp-libs is
> used and ssh-libs is completely ignored.

You can't use 'lib' twice as a destination for the externals. If you do
this it'll work:

lib/ftp  [url of ftp libs]
lib/ssh  [url of ssh libs]

This might not be quite what you're looking for, but that's how
externals work - the smallest unit of pulling something in is a directory.

Cheers,
Mike.