Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Jiang, Qi (Atlanta)" <qi...@hp.com> on 2011/09/19 15:55:46 UTC

what will happen if I set --stdoutput/--stderror to nothing (blank)?

Hi,
     I used the daemon service to convert a java application to a windows service. Everything was good. However there was an issue on stdoutput/stderror.
     The setting for stdoutput and stderror is something like,

     --stdoutput=c:\temp\app-stdoutput.log -stderror=c:\temp\app-stderror.log

After running the app for a week, the app-stdoutput.log became huge, with order of 100 mb. It's too big to be kept. I don't want to manually remove it every time since our app is an automation app .  I want them totally to disappear.

So I removed those optional settings from the command. And indeed those files disappeared. But from the instruction of the daemon service, it says,

--stdoutput: "Redirected stdout filename. If named auto file is created inside LogPath with the name service-stdout.YEAR-MONTH-DAY.log."

I am worried about that may the output from the stdout be automatically logged to some auto created files. Is it possible?

I searched the relevant info online but didn't see an answer.

Appreciate any help on it.

Thanks,

Mike J.