Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2015/10/15 05:03:50 UTC

Re: Tomcat not properly fully-qualifying redirect URLs

All,

> Running Tomcat 8.0.x trunk as of 1688887 (slightly old) on
> jdk1.8.0_45 on Mac OS X, I'm having intermittent problems with
> Tomcat appearing not to change a relative URL into a
> fully-qualified URL for redirection purposes.
>
> Since it's intermittent, it's hard to catch. But I just found a
> case.
>
> I have an HttpServletResponseWrapper that logs calls to
> sendRedirect() by dumping-out the URL that was passed-into the
> sendRedirect method.
>
> [snip]
>
> [HttpServletResponse.sendRedirect or similar is ruining my redirect
>  URL, so the hostname is being obliterated and I get
> http://context/path/to/page instead of
> http://localhost/context/path/to/page]

I'm having this problem, again. This time with an updated 8.0.x trunk
(pretty much 8.0.27).

It might be a problem with securityfilter, which is trying to do this:

// redirect to login page
response.sendRedirect(response.encodeRedirectURL(request.getContextPath(
)
+ loginPage));

The "loginPage" variable starts with a "/" and the final URL *should*
be something like "/context/loginPage", but by the time it gets to
HttpServletResponse.sendRedirect, it's been changed to
"//context/loginPage". This ruins everything, of course.

I haven't stepped-through the code in a debugger, yet, but all the
code in both securityfilter and Tomcat looks okay at first glance.

The good news is that HttpServletResponse.sendRedirect isn't making a
bad decision. It's either securityfilter itself, or some weird
combination of a few components, since
o.a.c.connector.Response.encodeRedirectURL doesn't mutate the URL in a
way that could add leading slashes.

- -chris

Re: Tomcat returning context path with extra leading slash

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Konstantin,

On 10/23/15 6:32 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> On 10/14/15 11:03 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> All,

>>> I'm having this problem, again. This time with an updated 8.0.x trunk
>>> (pretty much 8.0.27).
>>>
>>> It might be a problem with securityfilter, which is trying to do this:
>>>
>>> // redirect to login page
>>> response.sendRedirect(response.encodeRedirectURL(request.getContextPath(
>>> )
>>> + loginPage));
>>>
> <...>
>>
>> Any idea what might be causing Tomcat to return "/" + context path when
>> ServletContext.getContextPath() is called?
>
> It seems that you are confusing two different methods,
>
> (1) HttpServletRequest.getContextPath()
> (2) ServletContext.getContextPath(), @since Servlet 2.5
>
> (1) returns the actual value from client's request, as is
> (2) returns "canonical" value
>
> (2) is always the same, (1) varies

Aah, I didn't realize that they were different.

I'll look into why HttpServletRequest.getContextPath is returning the
"extra" slash -- probably because of something that has happened
previously in the workflow.

Thanks,
-chris

Re: Tomcat returning context path with extra leading slash (was: Re: Tomcat not properly fully-qualifying redirect URLs)

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> All,
>
> On 10/14/15 11:03 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> On 7/3/15 1:40 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> Running Tomcat 8.0.x trunk as of 1688887 (slightly old) on
>>> jdk1.8.0_45 on Mac OS X, I'm having intermittent problems with
>>> Tomcat appearing not to change a relative URL into a
>>> fully-qualified URL for redirection purposes.
>>
>>> Since it's intermittent, it's hard to catch. But I just found a
>>> case.
>>
>>> I have an HttpServletResponseWrapper that logs calls to
>>> sendRedirect() by dumping-out the URL that was passed-into the
>>> sendRedirect method.
>>
>>> [snip]
>>
>>> [HttpServletResponse.sendRedirect or similar is ruining my redirect
>>>  URL, so the hostname is being obliterated and I get
>>> http://context/path/to/page instead of
>>> http://localhost/context/path/to/page]
>>
>> I'm having this problem, again. This time with an updated 8.0.x trunk
>> (pretty much 8.0.27).
>>
>> It might be a problem with securityfilter, which is trying to do this:
>>
>> // redirect to login page
>> response.sendRedirect(response.encodeRedirectURL(request.getContextPath(
>> )
>> + loginPage));

<...>

> Any idea what might be causing Tomcat to return "/" + context path when
> ServletContext.getContextPath() is called?

It seems that you are confusing two different methods,

(1) HttpServletRequest.getContextPath()
(2) ServletContext.getContextPath(), @since Servlet 2.5

(1) returns the actual value from client's request, as is
(2) returns "canonical" value

(2) is always the same, (1) varies

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Tomcat returning context path with extra leading slash (was: Re: Tomcat not properly fully-qualifying redirect URLs)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

> All,
>
> On 7/3/15 1:40 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> Running Tomcat 8.0.x trunk as of 1688887 (slightly old) on
>> jdk1.8.0_45 on Mac OS X, I'm having intermittent problems with
>> Tomcat appearing not to change a relative URL into a
>> fully-qualified URL for redirection purposes.
>
>> Since it's intermittent, it's hard to catch. But I just found a
>> case.
>
>> I have an HttpServletResponseWrapper that logs calls to
>> sendRedirect() by dumping-out the URL that was passed-into the
>> sendRedirect method.
>
>> [snip]
>
>> [HttpServletResponse.sendRedirect or similar is ruining my redirect
>>  URL, so the hostname is being obliterated and I get
>> http://context/path/to/page instead of
>> http://localhost/context/path/to/page]
>
> I'm having this problem, again. This time with an updated 8.0.x trunk
> (pretty much 8.0.27).
>
> It might be a problem with securityfilter, which is trying to do this:
>
> // redirect to login page
> response.sendRedirect(response.encodeRedirectURL(request.getContextPath(
> )
> + loginPage));
>
> The "loginPage" variable starts with a "/" and the final URL *should*
> be something like "/context/loginPage", but by the time it gets to
> HttpServletResponse.sendRedirect, it's been changed to
> "//context/loginPage". This ruins everything, of course.
>
> I haven't stepped-through the code in a debugger, yet, but all the
> code in both securityfilter and Tomcat looks okay at first glance.
>
> The good news is that HttpServletResponse.sendRedirect isn't making a
> bad decision. It's either securityfilter itself, or some weird
> combination of a few components, since
> o.a.c.connector.Response.encodeRedirectURL doesn't mutate the URL in a
> way that could add leading slashes.

Okay, I caught this happening again.

I have this class wrapping the request object in a Filter that does
other things -- I just re-purposed it in order to catch this problem:

    static class RequestWrapper
        extends HttpServletRequestWrapper
    {
        RequestWrapper(HttpServletRequest request)
        {
            super(request);
        }

        public String getContextPath()
        {
            String contextPath = super.getContextPath();

org.apache.log4j.Logger.getLogger("redirect").info("contextPath=" +
contextPath);
            return contextPath;
        }
    }

I got an error with the redirect, and this is what I have in my log file:

2015-10-22 13:47:33,367 [catalina-exec-6] INFO  redirect-
contextPath=//mycontext

(Note the // prefix.)

My application is deployed into an exploded WAR directory with a
META-INF/context.xml file that (correctly) declares neither a docBase
nor a path.

Later, when the redirect actually happens, the sendRedirect method
observes this:

2015-10-22 13:47:33,367 [catalina-exec-6] INFO  redirect-
encodeRedirectURL before encoding url=//mycontext/somepath&parameters

2015-10-22 13:47:33,367 [catalina-exec-6] INFO  redirect-
encodeRedirectURL after encoding url=//mycontext/somepath&parameters

2015-10-22 13:47:33,367 [catalina-exec-6] INFO  redirect- sendRedirect:
location=//mycontext/somepath&parameters